What's new

Dear Sony: Please give us a Blu-Ray of YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY WITH IT (1 Viewer)

mop

Agent
Real Name
Max
I have been waiting decades for a video release of this film, and when it finally shows up it's on a 4K disc (with IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT/Columbia Classics 3) I can't afford to buy a new 4K TV and player just to watch this film. Now there's a n HD scan, so *please* give us a Blu-ray, even if it's bare-bones.

I hope others who like this film will chime in here.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I enjoy You Can't Run Away From It, also and would purchase a standalone Blu-ray, but am thinking of upgrading to 4K.

Columbia was busy in the mid-50s remaking some of their biggest comedy hits into color musicals.

The Awful Truth (1937) remade as Let's Do It Again (1953)
Too Many Husbands (1940) remade as Three For the Show (1955)
My Sister Eileen (1942) remade as My Sister Eileen (1955)
It Happened One Night (1934) remade as You Can't Run Away From It (1956)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I enjoy You Can't Run Away From It, also and would purchase a standalone Blu-ray, but am thinking of upgrading to 4K.

Columbia was busy in the mid-50s remaking some of their biggest comedy hits into color musicals.

The Awful Truth (1937) remade as Let's Do It Again (1953)
Too Many Husbands (1940) remade as Three For the Show (1955)
My Sister Eileen (1942) remade as My Sister Eileen (1955)
It Happened One Night (1934) remade as You Can't Run Away From It (1956)
And My Man Godfrey (1957). I don't think any of them holds a candle to their originals, though they have some individual virtues.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I don't think any of those remakes was particularly successful at the box-office either.

You're right. You know, it's sad but June Allyson was sitting pretty in 1955 after a run of box office hits like The Glenn Miller Story, Executive Suite, Woman's World and Strategic Air Command. In the two short years that followed, she suddenly became the "remake queen" with a string consisting of The Opposite Sex (a remake of The Women) You Can't Run Away from It (It Happened One Night) Interlude (When Tomorrow Comes) and My Man Godfrey that effectively ended her career as both a box office attraction and a leading lady by 1957.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You're right. You know, it's sad but June Allyson was sitting pretty in 1955 after a run of box office hits like The Glenn Miller Story, Executive Suite, Woman's World and Strategic Air Command. In the two short years that followed, she suddenly became the "remake queen" with a string consisting of The Opposite Sex (a remake of The Women) You Can't Run Away from It (It Happened One Night) Interlude (When Tomorrow Comes) and My Man Godfrey that effectively ended her career as both a box office attraction and a leading lady by 1957.
She might have resuscitated her career when 20th Century Fox offered her the juicy title role(s) in The Three Faces Of Eve but husband Dick Powell talked her out of it. The film made a star of Joanne Woodward, not to mention winning an Oscar. Many years after, Robert Osborne asked her if she had any regrets turning it down and she responded with no, it just wasn't right for her.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Memo to moderators: Please amend the title of this thread. The film in question is You Can't Run Away From It.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have been waiting decades for a video release of this film, and when it finally shows up it's on a 4K disc (with IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT/Columbia Classics 3) I can't afford to buy a new 4K TV and player just to watch this film. Now there's a n HD scan, so *please* give us a Blu-ray, even if it's bare-bones.

Why not just pick up an inexpensive 4k player?

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

You can still watch the film in question without a 4K player or 4K TV.
The film is on a separate blu ray disc as part of the Columbia Classics Volume 3 boxset.
I went through all the boxset yesterday to catalogue everything onto my computer.
Will you have to buy the 4K set? Yes.
Is the title you are after likely to be released as a standalone blu ray? Unknown.
Most likely guess on my part. It Happened One Night will receive a standalone release in due course, but the "extra" film will not. Just a guess.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You can still watch the film in question without a 4K player or 4K TV.
The film is on a separate blu ray disc as part of the Columbia Classics Volume 3 boxset.
That is NOT what is being reported by reviewers. They say You Can’t Run Away From It is only on the 4K disc, not the accompanying Blu-rays. Same goes for the bonus film of Little Orphan Annie.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

I'm sorry, but it is most absolutely NOT on a separate blu ray disc. It can only be found on the 4k disc with It Happened One Night.

That is NOT what is being reported by reviewers. They say You Can’t Run Away From It is only on the 4K disc, not the accompanying Blu-rays. Same goes for the bonus film of Little Orphan Annie.

You (and those reviewers) are correct on both counts.

315016708_1512228002537227_7496069536778982290_n.jpg

So we're all on the same page, the only bonus blu-ray in the set is the full 1979 TV miniseries of From Here to Eternity.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Will a 4K player work with an older TV?

At minimum you need an HD TV with an HDMI input. You can set the 4K player to output a 1080p signal which is the 2k high-definition standard the tv will accept.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
My apologies. You are absolutely right. So sorry. What a shame.

mop

Agent
Real Name
Max
At minimum you need an HD TV with an HDMI input. You can set the 4K player to output a 1080p signal which is the 2k high-definition standard the tv will accept.
Guess I'm out of luck, then. My TV is a 720p Panasonic (it has been a reliable set, and still delivers a good picture). It does have HDMI input with option of 720 or 1030p, but that probably won't work. But thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.