What's new

Dear M-G-M: Anyone Home? (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
This year is the 45th Anniversary of "The Lion In Winter", which features Kate Hepburn's 3rd Oscar-winning lead performance...I would be VERY surprised if MGM didn't release this in timely fashion to commemorate the milestone!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
lukejosephchung said:
This year is the 45th Anniversary of "The Lion In Winter", which features Kate Hepburn's 3rd Oscar-winning lead performance...I would be VERY surprised if MGM didn't release this in timely fashion to commemorate the milestone!!!
I wouldn't.

But here's hoping.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I love The Lion in Winter and went to it repeatedly when it came out.

I caught a goodly portion of it when it was playing on TCM recently, greatly enjoying how much more of it (and its actors) I'm able to appreciate now, so much more than ever before. It would be the proverbial Day One purchase.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MGM seems to give zero hoots about its catalog outside of the Bonds. Just saying...

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT won an oscar for 'best picture' in 1967 Why is this picture not being released on bluray??????????????

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
larryKR said:
I would like BD releases of Prizzi's Honor, Romeo Is Bleeding, The Long Goodbye, Runaway Train, and Crimes And Misdemeanors.

At least one of these films is being rescued by someone other than MGM: Runaway Train is being released by Arrow in July. It's an import but it's the only way we're going to see it in high-def before the decade is out. MGM themselves certainly can't be bothered with anything other than James Bond.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The MGM/Fox home entertainment distribution agreement ends September 2016, a little over 3 years left. At the rate the titles are being released I have my doubts that IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT will come from Fox during this agreement.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Matt Hough said:
Yes, I love this movie, too. I would love having an HD copy of it.
Nordic release, I've no idea as to quality, sorry:

51ETmgw2ynL._SL500_.jpg

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
cineMANIAC said:
At least one of these films is being rescued by someone other than MGM: Runaway Train is being released by Arrow in July. It's an import but it's the only way we're going to see it in high-def before the decade is out. MGM themselves certainly can't be bothered with anything other than James Bond.
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I don't have a region free Blu-ray player.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
John Hodson said:
Nordic release, I've no idea as to quality, sorry:

51ETmgw2ynL._SL500_.jpg
I own this, and it ain't great. A lot of aliasing and artifacting. The bare branches of the winter trees in various backgrounds are all blurred together. Color and contrast are okay. I keep hoping for MGM to get off its ass.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jobla said:
i've heard tell that the current MGM regime doesn't like "old movies."
It's not that they don't like old movies but older titles are not their focus. The want to use what cash flow they have to make films not restore them. While it is a shame they just do see any need in protection. To them they are a commodity that has an end life.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Also, there is Shout! Factory which has licensing some of their movies for future blu-ray release. However, Shout! tends to focus on titles with more cult appeal so I wouldn't count on the big award winning films coming out through them.

So far, Criterion is more of a possibility for movies like A Lion in Winter. An MGM deal with Twilight Time might not happen for a while.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
JoHud said:
Also, there is Shout! Factory which has licensing some of their movies for future blu-ray release. However, Shout! tends to focus on titles with more cult appeal so I wouldn't count on the big award winning films coming out through them.

So far, Criterion is more of a possibility for movies like A Lion in Winter. An MGM deal with Twilight Time might not happen for a while.
And Twilight Time wouldn't ensure it a good product - they only take what they are given. So if the foreign version wasn't all it could be, a domestic 'license' would probably be the same quality

David

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
ahollis said:
The MGM/Fox home entertainment distribution agreement ends September 2016, a little over 3 years left. At the rate the titles are being released I have my doubts that IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT will come from Fox during this agreement.
I've lost hope in MGM. Once the agreement ends, their classics will become unavailable and the original elements will decompose in the vaults. They need to sell off their catalog to a responsible studio (perhaps Fox since they actually seem to be giving a shit about their classics now) since it won't be doing them any good just sitting there and rotting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks