What's new

Deadwood: episode 2 (1 Viewer)

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
When Seth Bullock stared down Swearengen I had to know more about the real life person of Bullock. Man what an incredible life he lead. I hope the series is historically acurate while being entertaining of course and so far it is entertaining. Great cast too.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Seth Bullock was a real person? I thought only Wild Bill and Calamity Jane were real.

Also,
With regards to Wild Bill's demise. The Richard Dean Anderson show Legend had a interesting story with Wild Bill. In the show he was tired of always having people challenge him. So using the inventors bulletproof vest he specifically sits with his back to the door so someone will shoot him. In this show it was his back, not head. And in the end he cuts his hair and goes and lives a quiet life in retirement.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
^^^
I think (almost)every major character in the show was based on a real person .If you want to read about there real life stories GO HERE but be advised ..If the show follows history even loosely there will be Many SPOILERS

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Gordon, thanks for the web site info. That was informative.

I can see where the show embelleshed. Where Wild Bill was killed the day after Seth arrived. I only read about Sol and Seth. I want to be surprised about Al and his demise. It is interesting what a history Seth goes on to be a part of.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
That's some facinating reading. If they follow history, it sounds like the season will cover the course of several years. It's pretty cool how close some of the characters in the show look like their historical photos (especially Wild Bill and Calamity Jane)

If it follows history closely, I think Wild Bill will meet his demise in the next episode

Brian

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Swearengen was real, Bullock was real, I think just about everyone is based on their real-life counterpart.

However, they are definitely playing with history and timeline. There is no evidence that Hickok ever knew McCall before he gunned him down (but, in the show, they have met). And, historically, Hickok and Bullock never became friends/acquaintances. Never had time.

Will Bullock become the first Sheriff of Deadwood in the show?

Todd.Martin

Stunt Coordinator
A little different than what we've seen on the show so far from Calamity Jane:

Upon arriving in Deadwood in July of 1876, Hickok and others set up camp, but Calamity went downtown and became a dance hall celebrity, frequenting E.A. Swearingen’s Gem Theater. The Black Hills Pioneer of July 15, 1876 announced, "Calamity Jane has arrived."

Calamity worked as a prostitute and dance hall girl in Deadwood, and briefly managed a house of her own.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Todd,

If it's true that Jane becomes a prostitute. I am not sure I want to see the tv version get naked. ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Todd, I would be surprised if they go that route with Jane. They're sticking with a tomboy-ish, cowboy with a heart of gold route for her.

If this show were keeping with what little we know of historical fact, Hickok would be dead by now.

This isn't a criticism, as I'm loving this show as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks