IMG_8165.JPG

Looks freaking cool!

As for the pics of Domino, not so much.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Surprise: the movie is now coming out earlier, on May 18.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...bit-new-mutants-get-new-release-dates-1073560

As the article notes, that's one week before Han Solo, but it's also only two weeks after Infinity War, and I think that might be an issue. Certainly, I think the proximity to Infinity War is a bigger issue for this particular film than the proximity to Han Solo.

Also, The New Mutants is being delayed 10 months to February 2019 and Gambit, which just lost another director, gets another delay to June 2019. More at the link.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...bit-new-mutants-get-new-release-dates-1073560

As the article notes, that's one week before Han Solo, but it's also only two weeks after Infinity War, and I think that might be an issue. Certainly, I think the proximity to Infinity War is a bigger issue for this particular film than the proximity to Han Solo.

Also, The New Mutants is being delayed 10 months to February 2019 and Gambit, which just lost another director, gets another delay to June 2019. More at the link.

Yeah, not a great spot there with the box office competition. I’m sure it’ll still pull a good audience because of the reception of the first one, but this is a much different type of spot than mid-February.

They really should just throw in the towel with Gambit. If it was already into production I can see wanting to follow through and release it. But at this point, with Marvel Studios’ control of these properties on the horizon it is very unlikely they would continue with whatever they wind up doing. Why force something like this at this point given that future?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Ugh.

I hate this latest trend on studios. First, they discover that people like seeing movies at all times of the year, and not just May-June and December. To their overwhelming surprise, a movie that people are interested in seeing has a huge opening and does well in a different month. Then, due to the film's success, the sequel gets movied to May-June or December, when the marketplace is too crowded.

I can't believe that no one there ever seems to consider that maybe I saw Deadpool because there wasn't much else out at the time, and it didn't have competition from other similar types of films. I went and saw films like Deadpool and The Lego Movie in the first place because they came out at times when there was nothing else out there that I wanted to see, and decided to give them a chance. And I'd check out Deadpool 2 during a similarly slow time. But in the middle of May, when I can see a new Avengers movie and a new Star Wars movie? Deadpool doesn't mean that much to me. The Lego movie doesn't mean that much to me.

As the business movies towards a blockbuster-only model, and as the trend of people only coming out to see tentpoles and staying home for smaller pictures continues to develop, studios are going to need to spread that product out over the course of the full calendar year. The theater industry itself will not survive if tentpoles only come out in May and December. They're already struggling during off-peak times of the year; I think AMC revealed during an investor or stockholder call that during off-peak seasons, their average screens were grossing less than $100 a day or something ridiculously low like that. It's not sustainable. They're not going to be able to afford their leases for too long if they only make money two months of the year. I'm not saying lets move all the May movies throughout the year; I'm just saying, if a potential franchise starter hits big in February or October or some other unexpected time, don't be in so much of a rush to move the sequel to the most crowded time of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks