What's new

Deadly.....seals? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Leopard seals, that is. A British marine biologist was killed July 22nd:

Kirsty Brown was dragged underwater by the seal while snorkeling near Rothera research station on the Antarctic Peninsula.
An unfortunate incident that may be a harbinger of things to come as more and more humans invade the Antarctic continent.

Go here for the full story.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep Steve I agree that it may be a sign!

It's time that we left the ocean to the animals that live in it!!

Brent

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
As stated in the article, the problem is indeed human encroachment. I know most visitors to Antarctica are members of the scientific community, but are even more stringent restrictions necessary?

John Gates

Second Unit
A sad incident, to be sure, but I don't think more "restrictions" are necessary. I think we have too much "protecting people from themselves" already.

Certainly folks should be made aware of the dangers, but let them go if they decide to face the potential consequences of their own decision.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Leopard seals are known to be very aggressive. More so than sharks, right?

It's a tragic fluke incident.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I don't think you can. :D

At the Calgary Film Festival last year, the director of the Imax film Antarctica was on hand for questions, and someone asked how they managed to film the sequences in the incredible underwater ice caverns they found.

They only had approximately 5 (or was it 10?) minutes of air in their tanks -- holding this heavy and bulky Imax camera underwater. One problem they were concerned with was figuring out which way was up!

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I know most visitors to Antarctica are members of the scientific community, but are even more stringent restrictions necessary?
to answer a question with a question: when antarctica isn't claimed land by any specific government, who would have the jurisdiction to dictate the restrictions?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I believe there are strict treaties governing the habitation of Antarctica. They even go as far as "nothing can be left behind, not even human waste".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks