What's new

Dead channel on receiver... maybe i just suck at the search function (1 Viewer)

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, only my 2nd post, 1st thread here.

I figure this is more of a diy thing, repairing a receiver... If this has been asked many times please point me to the thread and feel free to flame me; I wasn't able to look effectively through the search I guess.

Anyways, I have a Kenwood VR-357 bought refurbed a few years ago. Earlier this year, in moving from home to school, the center channel stopped working. No crackles, no sound at all, dead silence, like the wires arent even connected. Not sure exactly when it stopped... but it went simply from working fine to not at all. I've tested the center speaker on other channels and it works. I'd rather see if I can fix it myself than pay a shop $40 to fix a fairly old unit.

I assume I need to take off the cover and look for blown resistors or capacitors? I just wanna know where to start hunting. Thanks in advance for any help!

Joshua

(Admin note - thread moved to the Receivers area)

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

Your in the wrong place for that. This is a very polite place. Flammers are expelled.

Double check that the receiver has not been told to ignore the center channel. Some people don't have a center speaker, so the receiver has a setup setting to shut it off. That may have been accidently done. Other than that, a DIY fix is not likely to happen. If that amp channel is blown, its probably silicone (a chip or transister), not likely a bad cap or resister.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
The channel was not turned off, i specifically turned it on and off, and there's no sound with the test tone either.

Can I get a 2nd opinion that it's likely a shop fix? How much would it run? With my old receiver it may be all I need to legitimize an rx-v1400 :D

(and i was joking about the flames, i wouldn't be on this board if it wasn't the most knowledgeable/mature of those i've run across)

JimIroc

Agent
one of the surround channels is out on my Denon 1801 too. :frowning:
After I buy a new receiver I'm going to rip into the old one with the digital multimeter and start testing. I'm going to have to open my college text books and refresh myself on FET biasing, then check the bias on whatever FET(s) control the output. I have a feeling that it's something else though. Blowing up a surround channel that never sees more than the drone of some NASCAR engines once a week really shouldn't see that much stress. I think a bad solder joint is more likely.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive the ignorance, but I was completely unaware that this could happen :eek: !

I thought [on a receiver] a single amp powered all channels, so if one went under, they all did. Could someone explain?

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
right jim, i never really cranked in surround mode... it's been out all school year, hell i don't exactly remember when it died, but i move a decent amount between school and home and i feel like something may have come lose in transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks