What's new

DC Trigger Cable (1 Viewer)

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to make a DC trigger cable out of two mono mini plugs and some RS shielded microphone cable. My question is what should I do with the shield braid? Leave it totally unconnected, connect it at one end to act as a drain or connect it at both ends? Thanks for looking.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, connect it only at one side, preferably the source side, to the ground.

brucek

Second Unit
Jim,

This is a connection that does not require a shield. You simply need two wires of any variety to connect the center pins of the two mini plugs which carry the DC voltage and the case ground of the mini plugs that supplies the return circuit.

If you have a shielded type cable with two wires wrapped in a shield, just use the two wires and don't connect the shield, or if you like, you can use the shield as the ground and use just one of the wires inside for the positive. It doesn't really matter. You just need to connect the DC and ground by any means.

brucek

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
Well I first hooked everything up with the shield unconnected. I had a nice hum. I then hooked up the shield to neutral/ground on the receiver side and the hum was considerably reduced. So from this incident I definitely agree with Rudy H. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks