What's new

DB-25 connector (1 Viewer)

I'm considering purchasing an Integra Research RDC-7 and looking through the owners manual that I downloaded from the IR site I see that it comes with a DB-25 connector.
Dumb question, but what is this used for ? Is it used for connecting the pre-pro to a DVD player for DVD-audio ?

Mickey Brown

Stunt Coordinator
DB25's have been used for eons with serial connections for computers.
I believe in this case it's a heavy duty cable that connects the pre/pro with the amplifier. Some top notch amps have db25 inputs.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Craig,
Mickey is right. The audio manufacturers “hijacked” this connector from the computer world. If memory serves, it allows for one-cable connection from the receiver to an outboard multi-channel amp, instead of multiple single RCA cables.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Rotel preamp/processor that has a DB-25 connector. It connects my preamp to my DVD player. I suppose it makes hooking up the connection at the preamp a little easier, other than that I don't know why advantages it might have.

Where I'm confused is instead of just an audio L/R from the DVD this cable has 6 connections on the other end. Front L/R,Center,Rear L/R, and Sub. Do i want to hook it up this way or just Audio L/R ?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The DB-25 connector is for connecting multichannel audio sources to your receiver. It replaces the 6(8) RCA inputs (spaghetti mess) with one big honkin fat cable (elegant) for the input. Unfortunately few companies use it so you'll most likely have to get a cable that's got a DB25 on one end and 6(8) RCAs on the other side. Forum sponsor BetterCables can custom make such a cable.
* I write 6(8) because I think the DB25 spec has been modified to include 7.1 audio. *
My 5.1 ready receiver uses this connection, as does my external DD decoder.
If your DVD player is not a DVD-Audio or SACD multichannel player I would not worry about this connection. The pre/pro has inboard DD and DTS decoding, correct? Just connect a digital cable and you're done.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on November 09, 2001 at 07:02 AM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You'd need a cable with a DB25 connector on one side and a bunch of RCAs on the other. I have two of these in my overly complicated spaghetti disaster of a system. You'd plug into the receiver with the DB25 and into your DVD-A machine with the 6 RCA cables. They would be marked for each channel.
BetterCables can make this cable, at least they have told me they can when I've asked in the past. That was a while ago though.
------------------
Philip Hamm
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on November 09, 2001 at 11:09 AM]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Phillip (sic)......I assume that the digital audio connection is still used with DVD-A ?
Nope. When listening to DVD-Audio only the analog connections are used. There is no digital standard for transmission of high-res DVD-A or SACD signals. Some DVD-A players send a stereo 96/24 PCM signal through their digital outputs if the DVD is so equipped. The digital connection will only work for DD, PCM, and DTS audio.
------------------
Philip Hamm

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, if your dvd-audio player had onboard DD and DTS decoders then you wouldn't need both the analog connections and the digital one, correct? Or do the two outputs work separately from each other given the different formats? I'm pretty curious about this. Thanks,
Dan

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
On my DVD-A10 the onboard DD/DTS decoder sends the DD/DTS 5.1 signal out. But there's no prologic option for PCM/DD stereo (darnit). Also, I think Craig's Integra Research machine will do a better job with PCM, DD and DTS than the RP91.
I'd use the analog DB25 input for DVD-A only.
------------------
Philip Hamm
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on November 09, 2001 at 02:14 PM]

Les Holt

Agent
With the RDC-7, Integra includes an adapter so that you can just plug male RCA connector into the adapter and it hooks into the DB-25 connector.
On the RDC-7 this is an analog input that can be used in pure passthrough mode to get you directly from your DVD-A player or SACD player to your amplifier. You use the player's controls for volume and level matching (to the extent your player has them).
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks