What's new

Dawson's Creek DVD update (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
the first season is vastly superior to the rest.
It’s not superior. The first season IS the Dawson’s Creek! The rest is a blurry shadow! They should have ended it at the end of season one, ending it when they are at the top; instead they just tried to make more money as long as they can. If for the first time I had seen one of the later seasons, I would have turned the TV off. Fortunately or unfortunately I saw it from the first episode in the context of its time and year and got hooked. There really wasn’t anything like it before. …After, yes!
Personally the reason I think they should have stopped is because that was the point and whole story. It was about the age of innocence and growing up. The story was contained and telling more was absurd. I don’t know how to describe it, something like E.T., Empire of the Sun, etc etc. The story ends where it should be and telling more is unnecessary and a crime! Just imagine how ridiculous it would be if they make a Cinderella 2!.......hmmmmmm...... Shit! ;)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Sam, I completely agree. For the reasons you stated I hesitate on buying any subsequent seasons after the first. I think I'd rather look back on the show with the first season's finale being the series finale, if that makes sense...

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Check DVDFile for more info.
Let's hope Columbia don't screw up this TV product like they did with Larry Sanders.
Good news though!:emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Confirmed for April 1st. "The First Season": a 3-Disc set with a running time of 570 minutes. That's all the info on this right now. I discovered this about an hour ago, and have written and sent a news item to Gord, owner of TVShowsOnDVD, to publish about this and 3 other releases for that day.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic! If it sticks, I know I'll be buying Friends Season 3, and Dawson's Creek Season 1 on that day. Probably three copies of Dawson's Creek, for I know a couple people that would love it.

Florian B

Agent
Damn, a 3 disc set.:angry: Season One has 13 Episodes, that means one disc will have to hold 5 eps = 218 minutes of material. I can see the artefacts already.:frowning: Also, there won't be much room for extras, except for a commentary maybe.
At least this set should be cheap. 3-disc-sets from Columbia usually have a SRP of $39.99.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
The official site, in the "ask Jason" section, has stated that on at least one episode Paul Stupin and Kevin Williamson will be doing a commentary. The three disc thing worries me also, hope that they go for 4 discs if they plan any other extras at all.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Confirmed for April 1st. "The First Season": a 3-Disc set with a running time of 570 minutes.
David, do you know anything about the aspect ratio? Anything less than anamorphic widescreen would be a waste. There was a “best of” DVD release of DC and it was in anamorphic widescreen. I know the show is shot in widescreen.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt the DVDs will be in widescreen. The target audience is young girls and, in my experience, the general opinion from the studios is that they don't appreciate widescreen.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
But we got the "best of" in WS! Maybe I will wait for R2 if R1 is in cropped version.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Damn! :thumbsdown: Then I will not get the region 1 version. People should know that the original widescreen framing is available. It is played on some satellite channels. It wouldn’t be so hard for them to provide it. Here is a grab from my R2 DVD that shows the correct composition of a scene.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
GAH!!!!!! I too am dissapointed and may hold off for other regions. If they do not come out soon, and in 16x9 widescreen, then I will pick it up anyways. Though I prefer the 16x9, I did originally watch them at a 1.33:1-AR. I wonder if this will affect Smallville.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Why would it affect Smallville? DC is Columbia, and SmVl is Warner. And Warner already put out a 16x9 SmVl disc in R1, albeit Canada-only. But they know it was widely imported to the USA (dare I imply that they counted on it? :wink: ).

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Dave, attribute that to my mentality of looking at the network shows air on, and assuming that is who puts out the product. Slap me please, thanks :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks