What's new

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this today, and really enjoyed it. I found it refreshing for a summer movie. I also enjoyed how the imagery in the movie recalled the original films. Very well done. And I'll echo the sentiment that Andy Serkis should get an Oscar nomination.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Tim Glover said:
For me :)

So far:
Edge of 2moro
Capt. America
Dawn
X-Men

Seeing Boyhood this weekend. Haven't seen Snowpiercer yet.

Dawn is one I want to see again...perhaps this weekend in IMAX if I can.
Yes, the Captain America sequel is quite wonderful too! We sure are going to have some fantastic movies coming to Blu-ray this Fall! 'Chef' (coming August 19), 'Godzilla', 'Captain America 2', 'Edge of Tomorrow', 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes', plus a few others. Can't wait to show all of them in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater!

Mark

Mark

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I like Newman's Own, Italian dressing. I have to try the Caesar dressing.

1977028_10152569787605149_407058507515325640_n.jpg

I blind buy what was it called on bluray? Rise of the Planet of the Apes? Only watched it once a few years ago, Goes to show how popular that must have been in dtsHDMA 5.1.

I'd still prefer to watch the original and thee best. PLANET OF THE APES (1968) dated my ape ass it is. It still a chilling classic sci-fi.

I see myself passing on blind buying Dawn of the Attack of the Apes or whatever its called? No more CGI apes for me.

I have

PLANET OF THE APES DVD region 2 Dolby 5.1
ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES DVD region 2 Dolby mono.

PLANET OF THE BURTON APES DVD region 2, Dolby 5.1
RISE OF THE PLANET OF APES bluray region B dtsHDMA 5.1

No more.

The only ones I want now are the squeals (ether on DVD or laserdisc)
BATTLE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see myself passing on blind buying Dawn of the Attack of the Apes or whatever its called? No more CGI apes for me.
How are CGI apes somehow more inferior and less watchable than rubber ape masks that looked fake as hell even at the time the original movie was released?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Edwin-S said:
How are CGI apes somehow more inferior and less watchable than rubber ape masks that looked fake as hell even at the time the original movie was released?
Indeed, in many of the later Apes movies, the ape masks weren't even articulated, just rubber masks for those sitting in crowd scenes or in the background. I agree that the articulated masks are some of the best makeup ever used in movies, and the new CGI apes are pretty spectacular too, taking motion capture to a new level.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I really don't know what the hell people are talking about when they say things like this.
It sucks just because computers were involved in the process?
Some people are so quick to dismiss CGI as if every digital effect was somehow shit out of a Mac or laptop with no effort whatsoever.Motion Capture, CGI, digital compositing, Photoshop, etc. are all tools an artist should use to his or her advantage, not some evil thing that doesn't require any skill. And the work on "Rise" and "Dawn" is off the charts brilliant. And Andy Serkis is a "real actor," just like John Hurt in The Elephant Man or Olivier in Richard III.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Indeed, in many of the later Apes movies, the ape masks weren't even articulated, just rubber masks for those sitting in crowd scenes or in the background. I agree that the articulated masks are some of the best makeup ever used in movies, and the new CGI apes are pretty spectacular too, taking motion capture to a new level.
Yes. I don't want it to look like I'm dumping on the people who did the make-up for the original movie. I'm not. They did a great job given the material and technical limitations of the time. The same goes for the artists and actors whose combined talents have created an amazing looking and feeling character in the form of Caesar. The animation team have created a photorealistic look that is hard to differentiate from the real thing, so I just don't understand it when someone will dismiss high quality work like that just because it happens to be CGI.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Saw tonight - it was great. Edged out "Edge of Tomorrow" as my favorite movie of the year so far.

The CGI apes looked plenty realistic to me. I really don't see how they could be improved upon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
andySu said:
I like Newman's Own, Italian dressing. I have to try the Caesar dressing.

1977028_10152569787605149_407058507515325640_n.jpg

I blind buy what was it called on bluray? Rise of the Planet of the Apes? Only watched it once a few years ago, Goes to show how popular that must have been in dtsHDMA 5.1.

I'd still prefer to watch the original and thee best. PLANET OF THE APES (1968) dated my ape ass it is. It still a chilling classic sci-fi.

I have

PLANET OF THE APES DVD region 2 Dolby 5.1
ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES DVD region 2 Dolby mono.

PLANET OF THE BURTON APES DVD region 2, Dolby 5.1
RISE OF THE PLANET OF APES bluray region B dtsHDMA 5.1
No more.
The only ones I want now are the squeals (ether on DVD or laserdisc)
BATTLE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
I think I have those on state of the art VHS HiFi stereo for you. ;)

Since apparently you have something against bluray because you seem to prefer inferior DVD and Laserotdisc.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
If I have one criticism, it's that I spent a large part of the movie wondering where all of those apes came from. I don't believe they could procreate that quickly in 10 years.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Greg Kettell said:
So what movie is that destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge from? Because it sure wasn't this one.
Death and Destruction is all Hollywood ever cares about. Why?

Why do they like destroying landmarks.

How many times have we see The Golden Gate Bridge, being totalled?
A View To a Kill (1985) airship rams into Golden Gate Bridge, mad Doctor, has stick of dynamite, almost blows it up and Bond, saves the day. Whew, that was close.

The Core (2003) bridge gets super heated crisped when sun melts the steel, killing thousands of people. Bridge totalled!

X-Men Last Stand (2006) Magneto rips the bridge apart. Totalled!

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I guess apes go apeshit and totalling the bridge?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think Greg was saying the bridge doesn't get destroyed in the movie, so the promo art is taking a bit of license.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember there was battle on the Bridge in Rise of the Planet of the Apes and helicopter crashing into it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Greg Kettell said:
Saw tonight - it was great. Edged out "Edge of Tomorrow" as my favorite movie of the year so far.
I saw both this week and would narrowly reverse that. I liked both a lot - easily the two best flicks of the summer, IMO - but thought "EoT" was a smidgen stronger...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks