What's new

Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4K (1 Viewer)

HDMan72

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry
I opted for the 1.0 mono track, for my viewings of Theatrical Cut & Argento Cut. I have yet to watch the Extended Cut.

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
That review is wrong re: the music used in the Cannes cut:

" Interestingly, though, this version has only library music (The Goblins’ score was added later when the Theatrical Cut was complete)."

While the Cannes cut has more library music than the theatrical cut, it isn't entirely missing the Goblin music. There's still plenty of Goblin music in the Cannes cut. The first 20-minutes or so IS lacking Goblin music, though, and also some of the motorcycle seige towards the end, but it's not "only library music" as this review claims.

Vincent
I just watched the 4k Argento Cut. There's a piece of jaunty comical music that i vividly recall on the old laserdisc when the zombies are walking through the mall - this isnt on this cut. Without having to search, would this bit of music be on the Theatrical cut ? Anyone know which bit of music i mean ?

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I'm STILL watching this.....
1706563440601.png

....and still looks good to me. 🤷‍♂️

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I just watched the 4k Argento Cut. There's a piece of jaunty comical music that i vividly recall on the old laserdisc when the zombies are walking through the mall - this isnt on this cut. Without having to search, would this bit of music be on the Theatrical cut ? Anyone know which bit of music i mean ?

Yes, it's in the theatrical cut. Guessing you mean this track:

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The UHD is Region Free. Only the Bd , which I have, is region locked.

And it's not that Rubinstein won't license it out in the US. It's that no company wants to pay the fee he is demanding.
This isn't 2004 and the SS releases have likely sapped some of the potential sales for it in the US, anyway.

The SS was/is a great release. Especially the LE. I got back into soundtracks several years prior, so the De Wolfe library and Goblin score discs were much appreciated here.
The visuals of the film on these discs takes getting used to. This is by far the coldest I've ever seen this film look.It may or may not be more accurate to what the theatrical prints looked like, but I've always known, and appreciated it, as a 'warm' film. The colder timing may help the oft-seen scenes of carnage reclaim more of an uncomfortable impact, so I can't say I'm completely turned off by the new look.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
All three versions of the film on 4K disc from Second Sight are region free. They play on all 4K players.
They look and sound amazing.

Robert Saccone

Premium
All three versions of the film on 4K disc from Second Sight are region free. They play on all 4K players.
Yes you are right the UHDs are region free. Anyone can enjoy them and that releases excellent. I stand corrected.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yes but its also unjustifiably expensive since you're paying over 50 US for a bunch of suppliments you can't watch anyway.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, some 4K discs are region locked which is sad. Luckily all the titles from other countries I have are region free 4K discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks