1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

David Lynch says forthcoming Lost Highway Blu-ray falls short

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Martin Dew, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Martin Dew

Martin Dew HTF News Editor

Martin Dew
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I saw Lynch's tweet a few days ago but I'm still buying Lost Highway. If a Lynch-approved release comes out, I'll pick that one up too but after waiting a decade for a North American release, I don't think it's silly to feel that is my last chance to get this movie on a disc.

PMF and Josh Steinberg like this.
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Criterion should have done this.

4. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    It's probably the same of the European release, then. It could be better, but it wasn't bad.

5. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Like to see The Straight Story on Blu-ray. There is a region B out there but will wait.

6. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I just watched it. Other than a really weird audio anomaly on the Universal logo at the start (the surround sound on the 5.1 track jumps around erratically from speaker to speaker), it seemed fine to me. Comparing it to the Focus DVD, it does appear to have been derived from the same master, without much more than the usual uptick in resolution and uncompressed audio (but that's not nothing). Those darker-than-black interior shots where people emerge from and dissolve into the darkness are always going to be a real mystery to me until David Lynch gets around to approving a transfer. I saw the sneak preview in a theatre, and the look of this Blu-Ray is consistent with my memory of the look of the movie on-screen. I'll be doing some comparisons to the "Zagubiona Autostrada" DVD that I picked up in Krakow in 2005, which was not derived from the Focus DVD master and is lighter, with less contrast. You can see more in the darkness, but I've never been too sure about its fidelity to Lynch's intentions. Anyhow, the Kino Lorber Blu-Ray will do for me until Criterion or Arrow takes a crack at "Lost Highway", and if or when they do, I'd sure like to hear that Tim Lucas commentary.

PMF likes this.
  7. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I like that they mentioned in the article that Criterion has released Lynch Films including THE ELEPHANT MAN. (They haven’t.) But is it forthcoming?

PMF and Martin Dew like this.
  8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I believe it was announced for laserdisc release but never released. It was assigned spine #201, so that may account for some confusion. Plus it was recently streaming on the Criterion Channel.

Hopefully it’s coming to blu from them.

Stephen_J_H, PMF and battlebeast like this.
  9. Martin Dew

Martin Dew
    Yes, you're right, battlebeast - my bad. It's available from Studio Canal in some European territories, but not in the US and with no release date set. I'll change that.

PMF and battlebeast like this.
  10. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    For a minute I got excited... :/ It would be nice to see Elephant Man from Criterion, but it's a paramount title... :/

PMF and Martin Dew like this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This shouldn't be a surprise; Universal hasn't invested in a new master for this title, and Kino can only release what exists.

I just saw this master recently through an iTunes stream and it's fine. I'm looking forward to the disc version for the lossless audio; I found the audio on the streaming version wasn't able to handle the film's dynamic range very well (sometime I've had an issue with in virtually all streaming versions of Lynch projects that I've seen), so hopefully the disc is an improvement on that front.

And this will automatically be a tremendous upgrade for anyone who has the UK Blu-ray, which is merely a PAL master upconverted to HD with the 4% speedup included.

TravisR and davidmatychuk like this.
  12. RichMurphy

RichMurphy Second Unit

Rich
    From the "critical discussion thread' of Kino Lorber. FYI.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Well, if Kino Lorber is to be believed (and there's no reason to disbelieve it), it's Lynch's fault. He was asked to help out, he ignored the requests and now he's complaining??? I'm just speculating but I suspect if his darling Criterion had the rights to the title, he would have been more than happy to be involved.

PMF, LeoA, Robin9 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I am a big fan of David Lynch.

As a longtime fan, I’ve noticed that Mr. Lynch at times can have a tendency to allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

He’s an artist and it’s his craft and I understand that.

Criterion in theory could have licensed Lost Highway anytime over the last twenty years. Either they didn’t have interest, Universal wouldn’t let it out, or the asking price was too high.

If Lynch is upset that Kino got the rights, that’s an issue for Universal, not Kino.

And what I think Lynch is missing here is that if people choose not to buy this disc, that won’t cause the studio to say, “We should have licensed it to someone else or remastered it first.” It will cause the studio to say, “This justifies our lack of investment in the title because these sales numbers demonstrate the demand isn’t there.”

From what I understand about other licensing deals, the term for this could be anywhere from a couple years to five or more. Does anyone really believe physical media is in such a condition where the market would be there for a second physical release five years from now?

The reality probably is that this will be the last chance to own this title on disc.

And I’d rather have it than not.

15. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    I think Lynch has done an awful lot of LSD. Sometimes that is a good thing.

16. SD_Brian

SD_Brian Supporting Actor

Brian
    If Lynch declined the invitation to participate in creating a new transfer and bonus features, knowing Lost Highway was going to be released with or without him, it would seem to invalidate his complaint.

I don't recall Lynch making a stink about either Blu-Ray release of Wild at Heart, which both were sourced from the same old master. Granted that was an old master he personally supervised back in the DVD days, but still.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  17. Sergio

Sergio Stunt Coordinator

Sergio Perez-More
    Just got the blu on the mail

18. Ryan Barrett

Ryan Barrett Agent

Ryan Barrett
    I spot checked it last night - I understand the want for a Criterion disc....but Kino's disc is pretty great looking.

19. Martin Dew

Martin Dew
    RichMurphy, thanks for adding Kino Lorber's Tuesday (I believe) response to Lynch. I was going to post another thread to that effect, but no need to now.

20. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    Lynch probably wanted a new film transfer and Kino wouldn't do it.