What's new

David Cross's Shut Up.. (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm a huge Mr. Show fan, so I was naturally led towards Cross's standup. His solo humor is in a much different vein (more political, less stoner), but very funny.
I'd seen Cross's HBO special, and loved it. I thought it was a hilarious political send-up, and his bitter rants were the best (he and James Lipton were on the same episode of Conan O'Brien. I wonder if there was much friction? :D)
I saw him on Conan promoting Shut Up You Fucking Baby!, but didn't really think about actually picking it up. That was until I read the 5-star review by AMG All Music. I instantly went and bought it at Buy.com.
Does anybody have this? Can you provide a review? Does this contain content from the HBO special The Pride is Back? How much of it is new?
Needless to say, I'm anticipating the arrival of this disc!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This a a GREAT comedy album and I am buying copies for all my friends for Christmas.

Warning: If you are a fan of the current US political administartion you will be totally offended! But if you are a commie pinko like myself you will laugh your ass off! Literally!!

None of it, as far as I remember, is from the HBO Special (which I've got to get around to making a CD-R of).

And don't go by the Track titles, they have nothing to do with what he is talking about.

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
I thought David Cross's cd is just allright... not really great, not that bad... just entertaining. I laughed a little bit here and there. I think his cd is better labeled as social commentary rather than standup comedy.

If you want comedy... Bill Hicks new cd, "Flying Saucer Tour", is the best comedy cd to come out this year by far. The other Bill cd released at the same time, "Love, Laughter and Truth" is pretty good too... but not quite as good as "Arizona Bay" or "Rant in E-Minor" are.

If you really like comedy cds, I would also recomend hunting for these three titles...

- Pablo Francisco ~ Knee to Groin

- Brian Regan ~ Live

- Dana Gould ~ Funhouse

Ike

Screenwriter
David,

While I do quite enjoy Bill Hicks, I can't stand Pablo Francisco, Brian Regan (he seems to be grafting Jim Carey's act onto standup), and I'm not sure on Dana Gould. Though, I've only heard their comedy central/Jay Leno acts. (Do they have HBO specials?)

I think his cd is better labeled as social commentary rather than standup comedy.
So could Lenny Bruce, though.

I still can't wait...I should get it today or tomorrow.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Brian Regan (he seems to be grafting Jim Carey's act onto standup)
Regan's been around for a while. I remember seeing him on Showtime or HBO back in high school (early '90s) around the same time that Carrey first became popular.

He's definitely not as ascerbic as most of the stuff I enjoy but he's pretty damn funny nonetheless.

NP: Grateful Dead - 3/1/1969 - San Francisco, CA

Ike

Screenwriter
Okay, I just got done listening to it-hilarious!

Disc 2 was funnier than disc 1 to me, but there really wasn't a weak spot.

The funniest track has to be "If Baseballs Had AIDS on Them," the track about religion. His reading of Genesis was gut-bustingly hilarious, and the story he read from the Promise Keepers was too funny to be true.

The only fault I could see is how well the material will hold up-I mean, satirical jokes about Bush and Ashcroft are dangerous and funny now, but president jokes rarely hold up once they're out of office.

Everything about the album is funny-from the cover, to the title, to the track names, to the Thank Yous, to the actual material itself. The recording is raw enough (Cross gets interrupted at one point by a drunk lady who has crawled on stage and tells him she wants to "feel it." It's never clear what "it" is) that it has a concert feel.

The album is politically satirical enough to include a factual Corrections section on the inside cover, but it never felt like Cross was preaching. In fact, I didn't think he got as overtly political as Bill Hicks would. Bill Hicks was blatant in who he was attacking-the right wing. Rant In E Minor has, well, rants on Jesse Helms, Gays in the Military, Rush Limbaugh and Pro Lifers that are much more politically open than what Cross is doing. Cross is clearly a liberal, but he never gets on a partisan topic like Hicks (who, by the way, I do like). Cross is much more into broad topics-religion, the media, and the south. I'd certainly say it falls under stand-up comedy, but just smart stand up comedy.

Fans of stand up deserve to go pick this record up! You'll literally shit your pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks