What's new

David Bowie: Serious Moonlight- Anyone have a full track list? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Look Back In Anger / Heroes / What In The World / Golden Years / Fashion / Let's Dance / Breaking Glass / Life On Mars / Sorrow / Cat People / China Girl / Scary Monsters / Rebel Rebel / White Light White Heat / Station To Station / Cracked Actor / Ashes To Ashes / Space Oddity / Young Americans / Fame
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Ken beat me to it. Great disc. I wore out my VHS waiting for this one to come DVD!
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Johnny G, in case you wanted to know the FULL setlist from a September 12, 1983 Vancouver concert. The DVD - and all video representations of the show - omits five songs: "TVC 15", "Stay", "The Jean Genie", "Star," and "Modern Love." Here's the full setlist:
Look Back In Anger
"Heroes"
What In The World
Golden Years
Fashion
Let's Dance
Breaking Glass
Life On Mars
Sorrow
Cat People
China Girl
Scary Monsters
Rebel Rebel
White Light White Heat
Station To Station
Cracked Actor
Ashes To Ashes
Space Oddity
Young Americans
Fame
TVC-15
Encore 1
Star
Stay
The Jean Genie
Encore 2
Modern Love
I'd love a full version of the show, especially if it offered a complete rendition of "Station to Station", not the butchered one heard on the video. However, given the obscurity of this title, it's a miracle it EVER hit DVD, so I won't complain too much. It was the program that really started to make me a Bowie fan, and since he remains my all-time favorite performer, I owe it a certain debt...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com
[Edited last by Colin Jacobson on September 04, 2001 at 05:33 PM]

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Colin,
I did NOT need to know the songs I've been missing all these years. I saw Bowie do TVC-15 as an encore in '78 and it was great.
And I totally agree with you about Station to Station. It's a travesty compared to the full version.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
How is the sound on this DVD??? (Compared to the LD???) Is it 5.1?
The DVD has a 5.1 track, but it's nothing special. As I noted in my review, I preferred it without the surrounds activated; it worked better as a stereo mix. I thought the audio was substantially improved over old releases, including the laserdisc. It doesn't match the quality of the 1983 radio shows - I directly compared the four tracks heard here and on my "Glass Spider" 4-CD radio broadcast (the jewel of my collection, thank you! :)) - but it offered stronger dynamic range, greater clarity, and seemed generally superior.
Here's a link to my full review:
http://www.dvdmg.com/seriousmoonlight.html
Notice to anyone new to the site: this is one of my oldest reviews, and it's NOT typical of the current level of quality. Oh, I don't think it's a bad review, but I much prefer my newer work, which is more detailed.
Actually, I may update the review soon to fix some dopey errors - I have no idea why I claim the DVD included 21 songs instead of 20 - and take another look at the disc's quality. Frankly, more than 800 reviews later, my standards have changed, so I may have different thoughts about Moonlight. I'd still highly recommend it, though; it's a great program that I've loved for - gulp! - half my life now...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
While everyone is here, has there ever been a legitimate release of the "souped up" live version of TVC15 that Bowie was performing in the early eighties? I've heard it from radio broadcasts and Live Aid, and always liked it, but it doesn't seem to appear on any official CDs or videos in this form.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to mention, in case anyone was getting hyped up about Serious Moonlight, that the visual quality is fair at best. Better than your VHS copy taped off cable those many moon (those serious moonlights) long ago, but not by much.
I wish that D.A.Pennebaker (spelling? name?) film of the Diamond Dogs tour would get finished. All that footage shot...for nothing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to mention, in case anyone was getting hyped up about Serious Moonlight, that the visual quality is fair at best. Better than your VHS copy taped off cable those many moon (those serious moonlights) long ago, but not by much.
Actually, I think side-by-side comparisons will reveal more substantial improvements than you think; when I got the DVD in 1999, I flipped between the LD and the DVD and noticed a definite difference. However, you're correct that it's not a killer visual presentation. Serious Moonlight looks soft, and it appears it always will - that seems to be how the thing was shot. It's too bad it remains somewhat murky, but I don't think it's ever going to get much better...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks