What's new

Dare to compare... Outlaw 950 Vs. Rotel 1066 (1 Viewer)

John Eric

Auditioning
Greetings.

I have a nice Carver home theater amp, and am looking for a good preamp to go with it. At this point, I am looking at an Outlaw 950 versus a Rotel 1066. Both seem to have some issues. Which would you guys recommend? Alternatives I have looked at include a B&K Reference 30 (over $1500 more than either), and the low-priced Sherwood-Newcastle AVP 9080. I've even peeked at Lexicon (I wish I could afford the MC-12).

I want quality, something that will last for years. Upgradable would be nice. I am willing to make an investment if it really makes a huge difference.

Look forward to hearing your feedback on the main two systems I am asking about.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
John,
My vote is with Dennis, if you can afford it, go the Anthem route. I have the Rotel 1066, the slightly warmer sound was a better match for my speakers than the Outlaw 950 and I felt the looks were killer compared to the 950. Depending on your time frame for upgrade, there should be some more pre/pros on the horizon.

John Eric

Auditioning
So, Anthem you all say? Let me give some more info and see how you feel.

At this point my speakers of choice are from B&W. I demo'd a bunch of speakers, and I decided to use the 604's for the front channel, the 601's in the rear, and the larger of their center channel speakers.

The sales pitch was heavy on the technology (Kevlar, same construction as their $16,000 speakers). However, the 604's sold me when I played a set of songs through these speakers "flat", and there was no need to adjust bass or treble (like the other models). the sonic replication was near perfect. For ambiant sound, the 601's work well. I have side speakers chosen as well, but that's (very) long term.

Anyway, to my point. If we were to shoot the Anthem Vs. Rotel Vs. Outlaw with these speakers, would you all feel the same way? Does anyone feel strongly against B&W (we can take this to the proper forum if you do for detailed discussion)

Thanks for your assistance in my growth into Home Theatre!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
John the problem is that the differences between the Anthem, Outlaw and Rotel aren't as big as the differences between rooms so for me to say I like the Rotel / B&W combo in my room wouldn't mean much for you in your room etc. Add to that personal preference and its very difficult to recomend speakers to people and or gear. All that said there are some partnerships that tend to work well together more often then not and the pre amps in question all do sound slighly different.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
I wouldn't give up on a Lexicon. You can get a mint DC-1 with the lot for around $1100 on eBay. If you need analog bypass add the Sony TAP9000ES for around $400.

Then for $1500 you will have a pretty darn good system.

Then I would certainly upgrade the speakers.

Steve

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 950 with (2) Carver 753X. I have Focal Center and Mains, I am very happy with my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks