What's new

Dances with Wolves (1 Viewer)

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Well I haven't been able to find a copy at my local best buy but I have found one for around 50.00 Somebody either tell me that's a great deal or That's way too much. I need to be knocked off the fence!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Dances With Wolves is going for $50??

You might want to wait for the reissue which I believe is going to be the extended cut. I never saw it but my friend had the LD and found the original version unwatchable after seeing the Dir Cut.That is the version he really preferred.

Its a great film, it was one of the first 5 DVDs I bought way back when.

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Scott I slept that deal My only Best Buy doesn't have any. They actually looke at me like I was crazy when I asked them if they had any :crazy:

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Rodney,
I've got an extra copy of the DTS version that I'll sell you for what I paid at Best Buy, $24.99 + Tax + Shipping. It's unopened. Send me a private e-mail.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The DTS version has actually been out of print for almost a year, its just that Best Buy must have had a ton of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere, cause Ive seen alot of people on the 'net saying theyve found copies at BBY. $25 certainly is an excellent price for the DTS version, but its not rare to spend $50 on an OOP DVD like this.

As for the extended cut, yes, the MGM disc will contain the extended cut, but let me emphasize one fact. The 4 hour "extended" cut is NOT the Director's Cut. Kevin Costner has stated that the theatrical 3 hour cut is his preferred cut. I do own the 4 hour cut on VHS, and like it, it really doesnt change much of the story, it just adds some filler, and some cool scenic shots.

I will gladly "double dip" when the MGM SE comes out, but I will not sell my original version, because the MGM will not contain the DTS track, and the DTS track on the Image release is one of the best ones out there. Not to mention, the Image version has an excellent commentary on it, and Im sure they wont be able to port it over to the longer cut.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
As for the extended cut, yes, the MGM disc will contain the extended cut, but let me emphasize one fact. The 4 hour "extended" cut is NOT the Director's Cut. Kevin Costner has stated that the theatrical 3 hour cut is his preferred cut. I do own the 4 hour cut on VHS, and like it, it really doesnt change much of the story, it just adds some filler, and some cool scenic shots.
Actually, I found some scenes that were disjointed even in the 4 hour version. In particular is one scene where a large band from the tribe is coming back from what looks like a hunt or attack. Two ride up on horseback to meet them. One of the two, waving a gun or spear in the air, says something but you can clearly hear "Dances With Wolves" in Lakota. Suddenly, the group that just came over the hill gasps and looks at each other like something terrible had happened. This happened at a point in the movie where Dunbar was still somewhat new to the tribe, so there was no "threat" to him from the Army at this point, thus making me wonder what the gasping and scared looks were about.

I'm wondering if there are any scenes that STILL were not included even in the 4 hour cut.

Anyhoo... when is this extended edition coming out? Has any release date been annoucned? I was actually considering converting my VHS extended set to two DVD-Rs, but if the extended version is coming out, I'll just wait for that.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The extended is definitely coming out, and MGM recently stated that it is still on slate for this year. MGM has only announced their titles through October, so that means we should see it in either November or December.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
If anyone else is interested, I have a sealed copy of Dances With Wolves (DTS) that I'll sell for $30 (shipped in the US). I bought a few for some folks here and I ended up with one too many copies.....and that 30 day return period seems to go by awfully quick :)
Send me an e-mail.
Tim
[email protected]
Deal pending on the remaining copy.....

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
I am really happy with the 3hr 2-disk DTS version. I'll have to thank my local Best Buy for selling me their last copy for $25 :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yep, love my 2 disc DTS version too! :)
Wonder what the upcoming new release will look and sound like?

Darren_Fu

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to agree with Chris and Rob, I also love my DTS version. I guess I got lucky because I picked my copy up on eBay for 21.00 bucks and that is including shipping!!!! It was a brand new copy and everything.

DF

Patrick_L

Second Unit
i felt REALLY lucky when i picked up my DTS copy at a local used book/cd/dvd/game store for $20 :D going to a friend's this weekend to watch it on his 65" Mits and can't wait!

rodney wiley

Second Unit
Brent comes through for a fellow HTFer. Hats off to Brent. Life is good!1 My New 3802 will be here tomorrow,my pronto sometime this week and by the weekend I will have an brand new copy of DANCES WITH WOLVES!!!!! plus Twister and Shallow Hal:D :D :D :D

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
With all this recent talk about the DTS version of Dances with Wolves I will have to pick one up at Best Buy during my lunch. I have the Dolby Digital Version but last night I saw my local Best Buy store had tons of the DTS version. Might as well pick it up since you can't go wrong with DTS.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I have mixed feelings about the extended cut of Dances With Wolves -- on the one hand, I really appreciate the deepening of the characters and I enjoy spending more time with them. On the other, some elements that are mysterious in the three hour cut are spelled out, quite literally, in the extended cut. For example, the four hour cut explains right away what had happened to the men who were manning the outpost,
removing all suspicions that they had been killed by Indians, which seems to be what Costner's character believes or at least suspects. In the three hour cut, we believe what he believes, but in the four hour cut we know better than him.
While I really enjoyed those explanatory scenes, I feel that the film is stronger without them.
Damn, I'm going to have to watch that LD this week. :D

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
While I really enjoyed those explanatory scenes, I feel that the film is stronger without them.
Without that additional scene at the beginning, there doesnt seem like theres as much tension when we see that character again, later in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks