What's new

Dad Wants In The HT Club. $1500 To Spend On Speakers. Need Help. (1 Viewer)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Need some help. Dad called and wants a speaker package with a budget of $1500 for 5 speakers and sub. I got him to buy a Denon 2803 receiver and I now need to find him speakers to mate with the Denon. He has a fairly large room at about 400 sq ft and will be using the speakers primarily for movies but would like to occasionally listen to classical music.
He's not a critical listener but would like the sound to feel present in the room and not straining. So I'm having a hard time trying to put together a nice system for him that I know he will enjoy.

Has anyone recently put together a system similiar in price? He's looking to buy this very soon even today if I can find him a great price. What's been popular and has had a general positive review.

Other related equipment he owns:
Mits 65413 (Nice TV he just bought)
Sony N700 DVD

Roger Q

Stunt Coordinator
SVS or Hsu should definitely be on your short list as far as subwoofers are concerned.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend that you audition Paradigm speakers. The Performance or Monitor series would fit into his budget. For around $1,000 you should be able to get 4 Mini-Monitors and a CC-370 center channel. That would leave you with $500 for a decent sub.

Let us know what you decide. It's fun spending other people's money, isn't it. I have friends that have asked me for recommendations.

MarcUR

Grip
you get pick up a Klipsch or PSB setup for $1500. For Klipsch check out the RF 15s, RB-15s, RC-25 and a RW-10. For PSB, check out the 4Ts, 8C, 1Bs and Subsonic 5i. I found two authorized online dealers who can do those packages for under $1500. E-mail me at [email protected] if interested.

Jason.Soko

Stunt Coordinator
Well considering it is always the same four recommendations around here I might as well chime in and make a bid for the PSB line.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would check out the offerings from Ascend as well as AV123 in this price range. They both will outperform anything that you will find in a B&M store at anything near their price point. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I own SVS and Axioms and I would not trade them, but if I had a budget of $1500 my first choice would be these and this . Fantastic sound priced right at your budget point.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
4 Swan Diva 2.1s and a C3 combined with an Adire Rava would be tough to beat for $1500. You'd have to go with the black cherry finish, but they should come off the price a little if you buy all 5 speakers at once, atleast enough to cover shipping. The HSU STF-2 would also be another good sub choice, but I don't think it can hang with the Rava.

Check out the Swan's from www.theaudioinsider.com and the Rava from www.adireaudio.com :)

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
If Dad wants to go the Brick and Mortar route, you can get Athena AS-F2's with center, sub and surrounds for $1400.

I have also heard the PSB Image system mentioned earlier and it is very nice...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Energy makes some very nice speakers for that price but I wouldn't buy their subwoofer. I'd go with an HSU, Adire or SVS offering.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I take my last post back! Axiom has their M22tis back at their outlet store. You can pick up 5 of them for $900 shipped. See them here and combine them with an SVS 25-31PCI for $549 + shipping. Right at your budget point and definitely an astonishing speaker setup.

Actually, if you buy 5 and ask Amie nicely, she will probably give you another 5% system discount (she did for me!) getting you down to $855 shipped for the Axioms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks