What's new

DAC Question - DVD to Receiver (1 Viewer)

ByronM

Auditioning
I have a wonderfull panasonic XP50 dvd player with built in 192khz DAC's (5.1 analog out). I currently have this tosslinked to my Onkyo 600 receiver. I don't believe Onkyo is pushing 192khz on its DAC's.

Would there be any degradation of using the Analog outs or could they actually sound superior because of the better onboard DAC's within the DVD player?

I also think i have to use analog to play DVD-A so i'll have to give it a shot.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a huge difference. I know the top of the line receives use the higher end DAC's and generally sound "Warmer" - is that the DAC or just the amp funcitonality or combination thereof?

BTW, i'm totally impressed with it going straight in through tosslink, but i was reading up on the DVD player and its stacked with decoder/high end DACs and that beautifull DCDi chip :) so i'm wondering if that would give me better performance.

Thanks!

ByronM

Auditioning
Hmm, my DVD player has the DTS/DD/AC-3 Decoder built in. I don't understand what the other poster said about it sounding stereo if you use analogs, as all your receiver is doing is decoding the singal, passing it through the DAC and pushing a 5.1 analog signal out to the speakers.

I'm not interested in 7.1 just yet (or any variation thereof).

I guess some people use the mixing modes on there receiver and would loos performance over and beyond the standard formats of the DVD itself. (brand specific tweaks).

i'll just have to give it a try. The receivers usually charge a 2-300.00 upgrade price from the lower end DAC's to the Higher end DAC's so i can't imagine that it wouldn't make a dent. (or why would you pay more for it) I understand lossy algorythms on the decoding/encoding process but even them isn't the full spectrum of the sound with the higehr end DAC what provides some of the warmth and balance in the movie? I highly doubt DTS/DD is THAT lossy???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks