What's new

Does a person really need a high end Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

gflaming

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Flaming
I have been thinking and I know I must be wrong, but here is some information followed by a question.
I have a PC with a Blu-ray reader and an HDMI 1.4a out on my motherboard. If the A/V Receiver is processing the signal would you not get the same quality output if the DVD reader was in a PC as you would from say a OPPO BDP-93 if neither is processing the source, just passing the digital data along? The OPPO has a high end DAC, but if we are staying digital from the DVD to the Receiver is it not all the same digital signal until the A/V Receiver, Pre-Amp or whatever you have processes the information?
VIDEO
DVD player (HDMI) A/V Receiver (HDMI) TV
PC DVD player (HDMI) A/V Receiver (HDMI) TV
AUDIO
DVD player (HDMI) A/V Receiver, Processed in DAC, Sent to Amp, Speakers
PC DVD player (HDMI) A/V Receiver, Processed in DAC, Sent to Amp, Speakers
I feel I must be missing something here. Your kind answers would be appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now that I got the humor out of the way...
In the "digital realm" there should be no difference between a Panasonic BD player, a PC w/BD or an Oppo.
But...
Which sounds better?
Ipod docked in a (pick any receiver manufacturers dock) running off (again, pick any manufacturer of AVR that also makes a dock)...?
Same Ipod connected to a Wadia...???
Same Ipod running 1/8th into a receiver...???
Same Ipod running 1/8th to RCA into a receiver...???
Same Ipod connected Airplay...???
Same Ipod connected Bluetooth via a Belkin FZ...???
Same Ipod connected Bluetooth via a Miccus Blubridge(sp??)...???
Same Ipod running the "network" being raided by a networked AVR...???
Same Ipod connected Bluetooth directly to a receiver that also has Bluetooth...???
Same thing applies to various BD players.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin Collins said:
Hi Greg,
Yes, there is a difference.  One of my colleagues and friends, Amir Majidimehr, has written an excellent article on why.  It's all about jitter.  It's a great article.  I hope that answers your questions above.
Furthermore, not all Blu-ray players are equal. Some corrupt the output data and skew the color space. Granted, most won't be able to see this without using test equipment, but it happens nonetheless.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, well I'm sure the terminator will be very disappointed with BD decks that aren't 100% scientifically accurate color...
The humans on earth would probably rather have the $200 still in their pockets.
But the audiophiles will be kept awake at night knowing that something imperceptible is askew in the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks