What's new

DA5ES with stereo amp? (1 Viewer)

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
My old DA5ES now belongs to a friend. He has a 5.1 set up in the main room and 2 speakers on his patio. Currently, to run the patio speakers, the center channel in the main room is sacrificed. I have an extra stereo amp that I would like to add to the system. I would much prefer to use that amp to power the front left and right in the main room, and use the DA5ES's amps to run the rest of the main room's speakers and the patio speakers. That way, he could get "separate's sound" when he listens to 2 channel stereo. He is also having a problem with the DA5ES's protection circuit when playing music at high volume, which I think can be remedied with the set up I'm proposing. I'm just looking for suggestions on how to do this...if it can be done. Thanks.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Yea..that's why I sold it. Of course, I replaced it with a 3 year old Lex :emoji_thumbsup: .
OK, I know that all I have to do is use the Front Left and Right preouts to the amp. My question is about the loss of the center channel when playing a 5.1 source in the main room and the 2 patio speakers. Will the receiver somehow recognize that I'm now not using the receivers amps for the front, and give me back the center? Is there some configuration that i have to program to get the center back? I hate to think that I'm only using 4 of the 6 receivers amps, and still am missing a center. Again, I want to use the separate amp for the fronts.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Joe- Don't accept this as a final word but, I think your SOL. Unless there's on board provisions to reassign the Sony amps, the addition of an outboard will not solve your problem. I think when operating the patio speakers, you'll have to live without the center in the main HT setup. I'll follow this thread and would be very interested if someone has figured out a work-around. You might try Sony tech support, but only occasionaly will you be in touch with someone who is even familiar with ES gear. Good Luck, Jack

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Correction...the guy that I sold it to is SOL :b . Fortunately, he's the one who really cares anything about such stuff in his house, and he will not be listening to the patio speakers and watching a movie at the same time. I'm giving him a decent Sony ES stereo amp anyway, so he is coming out on top. I'm afraid you're right about the SOL bit though. Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks