Going to buy a tube amp - how to integrate?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Kolacz, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I am thinking of finding an EICO HF-81 tube amp as others have highly recommended this as a cheap beginner tube amp for 2 channel stereo music.

My only question is how do I integrate this into my existing system?

I have a Sony DA5ES receiver now. I am using 6 OHM Infinity Delta speakers.

Any suggestions would be great

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Does the Sony have preouts? Run the preouts for the front L & R channels to the inputs on the Eico, and connect the speakers to the Eico's outputs. Re-calibrate.

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Pre-out from the reciver will send the signal to the tube amp. You will have to do some unplugging/plugging or get a switch box of some kind to avoid using the tubes all the time.

-rob

4. Dan Kolacz

Dan Kolacz Stunt Coordinator

When you say switchbox, are you talking about for the speakers?

My speakers have 2 sets of binding posts (for bi-wiring???)

Could I hook the Eico up to one set and my Sony up to the other?

As long as I am careful not to have both on at the same time, would this be a problem?

Thanks

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Patti, no no no. The two sets of binding posts are one for the high pass crossover and one for the low pass crossover. Whatever you do, do not run one set of speaker wire from the receiver and one set from the tube amp to the two different sets of binding posts.
    If you want to integrate your tube amp into your system for only stereo listening, the best thing to do would be to find some kind of high-level speaker sire selection switch box, or something like it, otherwise you will be switching the speaker wire on the back of your speakers every time you want to listen to the tube amp. Also, I would make sure that your speakers, which are 6 ohm, never go below 4 ohm, as tubes are very sensitive, yet volatile, to dips in ohms. If I were you, and if your speakers do not have really bad ohm dips, I would invest in an integrated tube amp, and use a switch box like those found in Radio Shack to select where the information from you stereo equipment will go.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    A speaker selector switch like this would be better. You have to make sure that both amps are not sending to the speakers at the same time.
    Alternately, if you don’t mind using the tube amp all the time, you wouldn’t have to worry about a selector switch at all.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt