What's new

DA5ES question (1 Viewer)

Matt Davis

Auditioning
i just received this week a new sony da5es from Oade Bros.
and so far i'm liking it. but, it seems to run hotter than any other receiver i have used. i measured it at 116f last night. is there any one out there that might be able to tell
me if this is normal? i have a b&k stereo amp for the the
front 2 channels, and i'm using the internal amps for the
center and two back surrounds. any help would be appreciated.
thanx,
-matt

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I have had two sony recivers, the first was the str777es which ran really really hot. I had the strda5es for a while and yes it did run hot, but not as hot as the 777es

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
My DA5es runs WARM..NOT hot. I have it sitting on top of my Flexy Rack with no covers. When I watch movies at Reference Levels for at least the duration of the movie, It will get a little warmer but NEVER THAT HOT. Maybe it needs a little air.

Good Luck
Angelo

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
My DA5ES will run pretty hot when run around 50 or so if I don't have my fan on.I think its pretty normal,I haven't had any problems yet,but I also run a cooling fan on it almost any time it is on just to help out.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
This is normal for Sony ES receivers. I had the 777ES, and now the DA5ES. BOTH of them will get very warm. I have never had any operational issues associated w/ excessive heat. Do not be overly concerned w/ it.

JackS

Supporting Actor
As an owner of the 777es ,the heat has really never been a concern to me. The 777 has huge heatsinks, thus the dissapation and transfer of heat from the inside of the box to the outside top cover occurs very fast, which could falsly give the impression that the receiver is overheating. A measurement would have to be taken at the transformer to have any real meaning. A quick transfer of heat to the outside should be viewed as a positive. The DA5 probably fits in this scenerio, so look on it as a feature instead of a flaw.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Matt: As the others have said, most modern surround receivers get pretty warm. The key is to give them plenty of ventilation. Don't stack ANYTHING on top of it. If it is enclosed inside a rack, open the door when you run it. If you can't do that, you should find a way to incorporate some kind of ventilation fan into your rack.

While the newer receivers do run warm, anything you can do to help it cooler it will help protect your investment longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks