What's new

STR DA5ES equalizer questions (1 Viewer)

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for some basic instruction on how to equalize my system. My receiver is a Sony STR DA5ES which has built in equalization capability for each channel, I believe. I have a meter and the AVIA disk. Speakers are Klipsch 2 RF3's, RC3, 4 RS3's and an SVS 20-39 PCi sub. What can I expect from equalization? If this question is too basic I would appreciate a link for reading. Thanks a bunch.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Joe,
First thing you are going to want to do is graph out your in-room frequency response. To do this you'll need a test disk like the one from Stryke Audio (www.stryke.com) which has test tones in regular intervals. You can also make your own test tone CD fairly easily with a tone generation program like NchTone. As far as I know the Avia disk does not have tones suitable for this purpose.
Once you've got a test disk all you have to do is play each of the tones and record what SPL meter tells you. This can take quite awhile to get done, especially if you want to equalize 5 or 7 channels. Once you've got all your raw data, throw it into any graphing program, or Excel will work in a pinch, and plot out your response. If you see any large peaks you can try and use the DA5ES's equalizer to smooth it out. Don't go overboard trying to get the FR super-smooth, you aren't likely to get it perfect. Also raising up large dips in the FR curve will likely prove to be very difficult if they are a room-induced null, it's usually better to try to cut down the peaks nearby instead.
There is alot of information on equalization techniques in the speakers forum, as many people use out-board equalizers for their subwoofer. I would definitely suggest asking this same question in that forum, or simply asking a moderator to move this thread :)
Be sure to let us know how it all turns out in the end, whenever I get around to it I'm going to be doing the exact same thing with my DA5ES :D
-- Dave

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info...I'm off to find a test disk! As for being "absolutely sure", geez, I'm not absolutely sure about much! What will happen....will the new settings make my cat vomit? (just kidding, I don't have a cat). I do realize that I may make things sound worse, then I'll just be back with more questions!

Before I get going, what is this "house curve" that I've read about? I know it's supposed to take the brightness out of a typical HT setup. Where can I find that curve and try to imitate it?

Thanks again.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Joe, how long have you had your DA5ES? When I first got mine, I used the eq quite a bit. Then I read several posts that said to try to listen to source(music and especially dvd) as intended with auto format and without eq because source can be of good and bad quality. I have not used my eq except for rare occasions when source sounds really bad. I am not sure that I am a firm believer in "break-in" per-se, but I seem to be listening to more and more music everyday and the DA5ES allows me to hear things that I never heard with my old STR-DE835.:b It was kinda like when I first calibrated my tv with avia, I said man that looks dark. But everyone said to give it some time. Well I did and now I don't even notice the difference.
Well after a long ramble, I hope I have helped.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dan,
I've had the receiver several months but just now am starting to get into the finer points of tweak-ability of it. I am perfectly happy with my sound now, actually ecstatic after replacing my Klipsch sub with an SVS, but would like to learn to fine tune better...if for nothing else but a mental exercise. I understand your point about source material, but I thought good equalization would just attempt to flatten out a particular receiver/speaker/room response, and allow you to be able to hear how the source was intended to be more accurately...am I wrong here? And BTW...my TV still looks dark after AVIA...and loving every minute of it ;)
Joe B

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Cool!:D
One other note, I read in another forum that when one engages EQ on one particular Sony high end receiver(don't remember which one) that a hiss was associated with that(their was also a post the other day similar). I will have to check this out.
ONE CANNOT HAVE ENOUGH TWEAKABILITY!:D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Joe,

I understand your point about source material, but I thought good equalization would just attempt to flatten out a particular receiver/speaker/room response, and allow you to be able to hear how the source was intended to be more accurately...am I wrong here?
No, you are not wrong, but you probably will have minimal success with the Sony’s built-in EQ. If it’s like other Sonys I’ve seen, it’s only three EQ bands that each have a few selectable turnover frequencies. This kind of equalization is usually better used as a tone control. Room correction requires equalizers that are much more sophisticated, like the AudioControl Bijou or the Rane THX44.

But you’ll have a better idea of what your system needs once you get through running the tests.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jon W (NoVA)

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I loaded up a realtime analyzer on my PC and tried to EQ my DA5ES. 3 bands was not anywhere near enough to repair all the peaks and valleys assumedly caused by the room and/or speakers.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
However, if the Sony allows to choose your target frequency and the width (Q) of the equalization, it can be very handy for getting rid of the worst of the problems.
The house curve is a slope that tends downwards with rising frequency. It will give a warmer and possibly more natural sound that a totally flat response.
Remember to measure at your seating position.
You can also download a program called Spectraplus (www.spectraplus.com) which will do it all for you.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks