What's new

Receiver questions... (1 Viewer)

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
I need a receiver and opinions. Go figure ;)

After just purchasing a house, right now there is no money in the budget for seperates. Otherwise I would already have my Outlaw 990 and a Cinenova Grand Amp.

Right now I have a set of Paradigms Studio 100's FRONT, Studio CC CENTER, Studio 40's REARS, Servo 15 SUB. Thats all that I have left from my previous system. This consisted of a Rotel RSP-1066 and a cinenova Grand amp. I figured I would mention this as I think it is relevant to what I am used to listening to when choosing a receiver.

Here is the kicker. My budget is no more than $700.

Technically since I am doing a 5.1 system only, DTS and Dolby digital will do, so I am more looking for sound quality. Around 100 watts a channel should be adequate for now, I think.

My thoughts..

Rotel RSX-1055
Sony STR-DA5ES
Denon 3802 or 3803

I would guess that since the Studios are a somewhat "bright" speaker, and the rotel was a "Warm" sound combined with the Cinenova Amp. That combination worked well for my listening tastes.

I was alo thinking the carver c1000 but am not sure of the current quality of Carver equipment. .. or how bright or how it even sounds since no one seems to have one.

Anyone have any other thoughts as to which direction should I go??? Which receiver that I should be looking out for? doesn't have to be new, just sound good.

Thanks for your help guys!
Jeff

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I've seen the Denon 3802s go for as low as $400 - 450. Plus, you can find Audiosource 2-channel amps for under $200 that will deliver 150W @ 8 ohms to both channels.

Juice it up. Lots of options in your price range - and you don't totally have to forego separates.

Sure, the new receivers have the latest DPL IIx processing, etc. However, my taste for DPL II/IIx has waned as I'm able to hear how well DTS Neo:6 does.

Enjoy! :)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Jeff,

I'd take your $700 and go to Harman Audio on eBay and see what you can get...probably an HK 630, who knows if you're lucky maybe the all-digital HK 2005 or even the flagship 7300. The kicker is that even though it's all refurb, you still get the full original HK-direct warranty and they are said to be very good about returns/exchanges.

Or if 2-channel music is most important to you, take Wayne's advice and get a multi-channel receiver with pre-outs and buy a cheap 2-channel amp.

I recently bought a vintage NAD 2200 Power Envelope amp to complement my Marantz 5400 and absolutely love it, took my music to a whole other level...like going from a biplane to an F-15!

Of course it sounds much better when I'm using the NAD pre-amp instead of the Marantz with it though.

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions guys...

I decided on an Integra 8.4 that came highly recommended as well. I went a little beyond my 700 border. I paid 850 for it. For its features, I think I got a great deal. I can't wait to try out "pure audio" mode that bypasses the digital circuitry on two channel sources. It also has pre out in case i want to add an amp later.

Jeff

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Looks like you found one. I was going to suggest to avoid the HK/Paradigm set-up. HK's are by far my favorite receiver but I just picked up a CC-370 and 2 prs of mini-monitors and it they sounded terrible with my HK-235. Way too flat without enough mids and highs. It was easier to sell the receiver than speakers.

I picked up a Yamaha RX-v640 new for like $200. Anyway, the HK was a better receiver based upon power and features but the Yamaha sounds better with the paradigms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks