What's new

:D My whole house rattled... (HT Newbie) (1 Viewer)

Max Kanter

Auditioning
...When I calibrated my new SVS and listened to the test tones. OK, that was cool. Here's I'm going with this, I've recently moved into a new house and have resolved to build a real home theater setup for myself now that I've got the space. It's a tri-level home and the lower level has a space 12x22' with an opening to the left to the hallway and stairs. It's cement slab underneath old linoleum. I plan on redoing the floor with cork.

I'm hoping for some help filling out the gaps in my equipment list...

Here's my current list:
Pair of Energy 5.1e's (front left & right channels)
55" Toshiba Rear Projection TV
Outlaw Audio 950/770 prepro/amp combo
SVS PC-Plus (16Hz-46kHz) subwoofer
BetterCables Silver Serpent Interconnects
Home Depot 12 gauge speaker wire run through the walls.

Probably a good start, I've never heard anything bad about SVS and Outlaw seems pretty well liked also. I've read lots of reviews ...but I still need to get the surround speakers. The 950 allows for 7.1 surround so I still need to get a center channel and a pair of left and right surrounds and left and right rear surrounds. I'm seriously considering Definitive Technology for the 4 surround speakers and really struggling with the center channel decision.

I'm considering:
Center Channel of Energy Veritas 2.0C or the DefTech CLR2002.
Surounds/Rears of Energy Veritas V2.0R Rear Surrounds or DefTech BPVX or BPX (BPVX/P is more then I can justify to myself and requires dedicated power which I didn't run. I think the SVS is enough base for a while anyway.)

OK, here's where the confusion sets in. I've read lot's of great stuff about the DefTech product line, so I'm leaning heavily toward them... but I'm concerned about their sound being a good match with my fronts. Should I worry about that for the surrounds or just the center channel? When I called Energy they gave me the impression that the 5.1e's that I have were a couple generations ago and wouldn't be a perfect match anyway. How do I know if what I have is warm or bright, etc. How do I pick something comparable? Would it be wrong to go with the DefTech center if the mains are Energy's? I can use the TV's speakers as the center channel as it has a center channel input plug, this seemed to work but it's not going through the 770. Is this a bad idea?

Oh, and a couple of setup questions:
I calibrated the sub to 75db like the rest of the speakers with the 950's test tones and I only had to turn the gain up like 1 quarter of the way even though the manual said it would be 1/2-3/4. What does this mean? Does it mean that it's just working really well? It's positioned in the front right corner about 6" from either wall.

Lastly in a 7.1 setup how am I supposed to position the rear surround channels? On the side walls toward the rear of the room or on the rear wall? (I have a fireplace on the rear wall to the back right so it's not a great spot to put a speaker). I believe I read that all surrounds should be about 3ft above ear level.

Ack, so many questions/decisions... your help is greatly appreciated!

keir

Stunt Coordinator
where the sub's gain ends up depends largely on what level your processor/receiver is outputting. if you leave the receiver at 0dB or greater than the sub would probably be lower. i have my svs set at about 12 o'clock, but my receiver's sub setting is -7dB (on a scale of -10 to +10).

Max Kanter

Auditioning
Oops, I guess that's 16Hz-46Hz not kHz? :b That would be impressive, 7 of those and I'd be all set!

Right now the I have the sub channel on the reciever at 0db but the test tone is registering at close to 90db on my radshack sound level meter. If I turn the subs gain up to half then I can't even come close to reference level (it still way above) because the reciever will only let me adjust to -15db.

Did anyone have some input about the surround speakers and timber matching? Energy vs. DefTech? Are the ones I'm thinking about too big or too small?

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Max Kanter,

No, that does not mean 16Hz-46Hz.

The SVS PC-Plus 16-46 is tuned to 16Hz and is 46 inchs tall! That is what the numbers represent.

Max Kanter

Auditioning
Ok, now I feel silly. I'm with you now, I guess I should have lined the numbers up myself now that you point it out. It is big!
Hey, I said I was a newbie...

Max Kanter

Auditioning
Now that this tangent I caused is resolved did anyone have an opinion on the surrounds and my original questions?

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
For starters, you need to be using your source(DVD Player) with AVIA or a disk along those lines. Using your Pre/Pro's test tones is not a very accurate way to calibrate. This goes for all your speakers.

Max Kanter

Auditioning
I'll have to try picking up an Avia disc and see how that does. I really want to understand more about what's going on with my system so that wouldn't hurt.

How is it some people know that there's a gap in there system? I've heard some people say things like "there's a hump at 60Hz"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks