What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Cyndi Lauper: At Last 11/18 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Cyndi Lauper Returns to Epic With Standards Album, 'At Last'
by Epic Records

Due Out November 18th, Album Teams Lauper With Legendary Producer Russ Titelman; Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder Also Contribute

NEW YORK, Oct. 6 /PRNewswire/ --
In 1984, Cyndi Lauper exploded onto the music scene with the appropriately titled "She's So Unusual," an album that yielded a handful of hit singles ("Girls Just Want To Have Fun," "She Bop," "Money Changes Everything," "Time After Time") and thrust her to superstar status. In the years that followed, Cyndi cranked out a string of unforgettable songs ("Change Of Heart," "True Colors," "I Drove All Night") some co-written by her, others claimed by her definitive performances of them.

Cyndi became a defining figure of the early MTV era, but she also transcended that era as a singer and songwriter: songs from her catalog have been covered by such diverse talents as Miles Davis, Celine Dion, Everything But The Girl, Phil Collins, Cassandra Wilson and Willie Nelson. Now, Cyndi takes the latest step in her artistic evolution by tackling a collection of standards, many of which she has been listening to for her entire life.

"At Last" sees Cyndi putting her unmistakable stamp on classics such as the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody," the Burt Bacharach/Hal David gem "Walk On By," the Smokey Robinson classic "You Really Got A Hold On Me," the title track, popularized by Etta James, and Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs' "Stay," (later covered by The Four Seasons and The Hollies, among others). Cyndi's interpretations not only approach these songs from a fresh angle, they also confirm her place as one of popular music's greatest vocalists of the past three decades... as if there were any doubt.

"At Last" also teams Cyndi up with Tony Bennett on "Makin' Whoopee," a song that has been recorded by no less than Louis Armstrong, Rosemary Clooney, Nat King Cole, Ray Charles and Bennett himself. Meanwhile, Stevie Wonder contributes his unmistakable harmonica playing to the R&B classic "Until You Come Back To Me" (which has been recorded by Stevie himself, and Aretha Franklin, among others).

"At Last" marks Cyndi Lauper's return to Epic Records where she has sold over 11 million records worldwide. The album was produced by the legendary Russ Titelman, whose credits include Eric Clapton, George Benson, The Bee Gees, Chaka Khan and George Harrison, among many others. "At Last" is due in stores on November 18th.

Track Listing:
At Last
Walk On By
Stay
La Vie Un Rose
Unchained Melody
'Til You Come Back To Me (featuring Stevie Wonder)
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
You Really Got A Hold On Me
My Baby Just Cares For Me
If You Go Away
Makin' Whoopee (featuring Tony Bennett)
Hymn to Love
Sunny Side of the Street

728x90

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to it. I have always really liked her voice.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
she definitely broke some ground. wasn't she the first female singe to have 4 #1 hits from the same album...or something like that?

i've also always loved her version of "i drove all night".

not sure if this is something i'd pick up, but i give her kudos for still hangin' tough after all these years.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Cyndi's been without a label for 5 years, and this has been a long time coming. How appropriate that she's re-signed with Epic just in time for her 20th anniversary with them.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I just hope that this time with Epic they allow her to use her creative control and don't try to tell her what to do. Since she hasn't been with a major lable, she has produced some of her best work. (even her last effort with Epic, the little known gem "Sisters of Avalon" was a perfect album for her and showed that she had what it took along...

I look forward to this and it will be a lot of fun!

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Cyndi gave an interview recently saying that a lot had changed at Epic and that influenced her decision. The whole of Sony Music has been in complete turnaround and larger sections of the old regime are gone.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I really wish this would get a nice SACD Hybrid release.
I also wish a good portion of her catalog would come out as such.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
"LA VIE UN ROSE" < Life in pink. maybe pink hair...? I'd kind'a like to have the album but I'd be inclined to wait around for an SACD if this ain't one.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I rushed out to pick this up Tuesday, and it's simply amazing! Cyndi's interpretations give these classics a new lease on life. It's a if each song was written especially for her 4 octave voice. Naysayers take notice. Not only does the Girl prove she's still having fun, but also that she's one hell of a vocalist!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Sounds very interesting, wish she'd do Be Bop A Lula tho, I've already started the lyrics for her as She Bop A Lula :)

BTW, when is Nina Hagen gonna duet with Tony B? :D

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I heard some of the music on this release in a TV commercial for "At Last"....sounds good. I will pick this one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks