Curtains for the Mac Pro? (2 Viewers)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Keith Plucker said:
Sapphire has announced a new card for Mac Pros 2010 or later and it can also be used in standard Windows boxes. (posted this over on anandtech.com as well)
Barefeats lists retail at $479. Seems interesting that Sapphire would announce such a card given the age of the current Mac Pros, maybe they know something we don't?

-KeithP
"given the age the current Mar Pros" -- not sure what that has to do with anything -- say Apple introduces new super-duper MacPros tomorrow: buyers would get the stock video cards or get one of the BTO ones, they wouldn't bother with a third party card on a brand new in warranty Mac. On the other hand the installed Mac Pro user base would be looking at cards to upgrade their old machines performance. Whether new Pros are coming out or not is irrelevant to Sapphire.

The problem with that card is that it requires too new a Mac Pro -- from my point of view anyway -- mine is from 2009...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think Keith's point is that a post-2010 Mac Pro market is so niche and small, why would they bother releasing a Mac Pro card unless they know a new one is coming?

Again, not proof in and of itself, just hopeful speculation. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
I think Keith's point is that a post-2010 Mac Pro market is so niche and small, why would they bother releasing a Mac Pro card unless they know a new one is coming?

Again, not proof in and of itself, just hopeful speculation. :)
Considering the massive overall growth of the Mac market, I seriously doubt that the post 2010 upgrade Mac Pro Market is smaller than the pre 2010. I doubt there was much growth there, but I also doubt that fewer Mac Pros were sold, especially with demise of the rack-mount servers.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Ted Todorov said:
"given the age the current Mar Pros" -- not sure what that has to do with anything -- say Apple introduces new super-duper MacPros tomorrow: buyers would get the stock video cards or get one of the BTO ones, they wouldn't bother with a third party card on a brand new in warranty Mac...
You mean in the same way people don't bother adding their own memory or hard drives with the current design? I am not sure what being in warranty has to do with anything, given adding a third party video card wouldn't void the warranty on a new machine. Although, what it most certainly would do, given Apple's history, is save the buyer money.

-Keith

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Keith Plucker said:
You mean in the same way people don't bother adding their own memory or hard drives with the current design? I am not sure what being in warranty has to do with anything, given adding a third party video card wouldn't void the warranty on a new machine. Although, what it most certainly would do, given Apple's history, is save the buyer money.-Keith
Most people won't want to replace the stock/BTO cards with Sapphire: no Thunderbolt on the Sapphire, no chance of future "retina" ACD support. As for cheaper, you can't buy a Mac Pro without a video card, so a Sapphire would be by definition extra.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, are you doing this because of any concrete news you have on an impending update to the line, or are you still operating (like the rest of us) in good faith based on Cook's comments last year?

A good estimate for your sale might be a certain % (say 10-15%) below refurb price from Apple?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Carlo Medina said:
Just curious, are you doing this because of any concrete news you have on an impending update to the line, or are you still operating (like the rest of us) in good faith based on Cook's comments last year?

A good estimate for your sale might be a certain % (say 10-15%) below refurb price from Apple?
I'm doing it cause I replaced it with an iMac last year. =p Finally got it cleaned up and ready to sell. I'm thinking I could get $800 for it and the 20" ACD, think that is over optimistic?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends on how old the MP is and the specs. I would think that a fairly recent MP (2008 or later) with an ACD would be quite a bargain at $800. But if you're talking about something older then maybe not.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ironically I am using my 2009 MacPro more fully, more heavily than ever. I recently installed a Blu-ray drive, doubled the memory and currently have 13TB of total disk space (out of a current possible maximum of 16TB).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, guess I gotta look it up now! I know it was a 2008.
Carlo Medina said:
I guess it depends on how old the MP is and the specs. I would think that a fairly recent MP (2008 or later) with an ACD would be quite a bargain at $800. But if you're talking about something older then maybe not.
Here we are!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/274541-keeping-my-eyes-out-for-a-usedrefurb-mac-pro/?hl=bought#entry3365421
Dual quad core xeon 2.8 w/12mb cache
10gb of ram
2 x 750gb hds
Upgraded 8800 GT 512mb video card
internal optional wireless card installed
Superdrive
Mac aluminum wired kb/mouse
OSX 10.5 /ilife
Plus a 20" Apple Cinema Display bought at the same time.
I paid $2400 for it at the time, I'd consider $800 a good deal. Looking at eBay that sounds easily doable especially with the 20" ACD bundled in.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2&_nkw=2008+mac+pro&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks