What's new

Curtains for the Mac Pro? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DaveF said:
Knowing what I know now, I'd probably buy a Mac Pro and install Windows, if I have to setup a custom workstation in the future.
I spoke too soon :) even in my dream world, I can't use Windows 8. So a Mac Pro is not yet an option.From Ars:"Some people were worried that the new Mac Pro's custom design would prevent it from getting Boot Camp support, but Apple does ship it with the Boot Camp utility (though Apple only offers drivers for Windows 8 and newer)."

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I spoke too soon :) even in my dream world, I can't use Windows 8. So a Mac Pro is not yet an option.From Ars:"Some people were worried that the new Mac Pro's custom design would prevent it from getting Boot Camp support, but Apple does ship it with the Boot Camp utility (though Apple only offers drivers for Windows 8 and newer)."
VMWare is your friend.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is all daydreaming...but for a corporate solution, I wouldn't use OS X either. And I wouldn't hobble a Xeon install with a virtualizer intermediary :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
This is all daydreaming...but for a corporate solution, I wouldn't use OS X either. And I wouldn't hobble a Xeon install with a virtualizer intermediary :)
A majority of corporate servers at my old job were virtualized (multiple "servers" running on the same physical machine, not any cross platform stuff necessarily although there was a mix of Windows and Linux). You really aren't hobbling much of anything with virtualization.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Ted, the problem is that parallels and other clients don't have nearly as little overhead as say ESXi or Hyper-V

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I'm buying a high-end Xeon system for scientific analysis, I don't want to reduce performance with a virtualizer.And that's setting aside the Sisyphean task of getting a system's security controls approved with an OS running in an OS. A nominal Windows system is more than enough pain.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks