What's new

Curse all mail carriers!!! HD-A1 (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I was all set to join this illustrious crowd today, but FEDEX requires a signature on delivery, and I'll be at work when they show up. So my initial foray in HD-DVD will have to wait until tomorrow :frowning: Quite a bummer since I called FEDEX yesterday and asked them to hold my package at the Distro center so I could pick it up, and they said "No problem!"

Oh well. Why does anyone care? I'll use the extra day to get set-up.

My intention is to connect the HD-A1 to my TV via the HDMI connection (I assume it does NOT come with the HDMI connector). I have an old receiver, the DSP-A1, but it does allow for external decoding. I planned on using the HD-A1 to decode Dolby TrueHD. Some questions:

1) Does the HD-A1 come with an HDMI connector?
2) Do I need to download Firmware 2.0 to enable the Dolby True HD processing?
3) Do I connect the HD-A1 to my modem via a USB connector and use the net to DL the update? How does that work?
4) What cables do I use to send the decoded audio signal from the HD-A1 to the DSP-A1? Standard L-R audio cables (6 of them)?

Many thanks for the assist. Can't wait to start enjoying it!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Yes

Yes, unless your player already has 2.0 installed. If it has a recent build date, it may be there already.

3) Do I connect the HD-A1 to my modem via a USB connector and use the net to DL the update? How does that work?

Unfortunately, I'm semi-computer illiterate, so I can't help you on this one.

4) What cables do I use to send the decoded audio signal from the HD-A1 to the DSP-A1? Standard L-R audio cables (6 of them)?

Yes.

Enjoy, Chuck!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yes, as Larry said, the HD-A1 does come with an HDMI connector.

My player (bought in mid August) came with the 1.3 firmware. So when 2.0 came out, simply plugged in the ethernet port and downloaded. Took about 45 minutes or so? Here's a great link for you:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...vdfirmware.asp

Some have reported some audio lip synch issues after 2.0. For me, it's the opposite. I had some minor "stuttering" and lip synch issue if I hit pause or something....after 2.0 this was GONE :)

Sorry about your delivery Chuck. I know you are anxiously awaiting!!! :)

Dave>h

Second Unit

Yes it does. Not sure of the quality of the cable but it does come with one.

Yes you do unless 2.0 is already installed. Read the manual, there is a way to check what Firmware is presently installed on your HD A1

Not sure about this one, it is in the manual.

6 RCA cables are what you need to connect to the DSP A1. I know because I have a DSP A1 too. You need to set your DSP to the "external decoder in" mode to get the benefit of True HD.

You will have to do a level check with an spl as the output from the player is quite different than from other DVD players using the external decoder, expecially the sub.

Not sure if the sub levels are corrected with the 2.0 firmware. I have not yet re calibrated now that I have the 2.0 software.

Have fun, best AV purchae I have made in years.

Dave

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks for the answers. I knew you'd find your way in here, Dave, having the same receiver I do! I'll probably pick up a Monster HDMI connector, and I'll check the manual regarding the other stuff. I only have one modem in my house, and it's NOWHERE near my TV. I don't want to play Batman Begins until I get the Dolby TrueHD.

I am thrilled about the player, the TV, the works. Thanks for the heads up on learning what Firmware I have.

Tim, you'll be the first to know what I think :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I can sympathize. My dilemma is a little different. UPS delivers my new disks to my home while I am at work 1800 miles away. They sit on my doorstep until Friday, when I get home. Just sucks...:) :)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
You can download the update and burn it into a CD. Then just put the CD in your player and power up. (you should find the image with detailed instructions if you search for Toshiba HD-DVD 2.0 update)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom

We care, Chuck. We care.

;)

The HDMI cable that comes with the player is just fine. Since it's a digital connection, either it works or it doesn't. I certainly wouldn't waste (IMO) money on an overpriced (IMO) Monster cable. If you really need another one, check out Monoprice.com. I'm using one of their 25-foot cables and it works great. Nice build quality, too.

Also, if you update to 2.0 online, BE SURE you DON'T have a disk in the player when you do it. Upgrading with a disk inside can render your player inoperable. (I'm embarrassed to say that I learned this from personal experience.) Interestingly enough, that link above to the Toshiba info page on the upgrade does not mention removing any disks from the player before broadband upgrade.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Roger on the in-box cable. I'll dl the update right now, and have it ready to go. I need a couple more RCA cables, but I can pick those up on the way home.

And guess what FEDEX *already* tried to deliver and is now waiting for me at the pickup center :) So I should be able to hook it up tonight for some HD love. If amazon shows up with my movies :angry: Just kidding, I'll just buy one when I get my cables ;)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Chuck,

But do you have the spiffy gold one like I do?? : )

You are going to have a good evening I should think.

I think maybe this goes without say but I will mention anyway; don't expect miracles out of the box. My experience was that I needed to recalibrate my TV, recalibrate the sound, do the firmware updates etc to really get the most out of the player.

I actually think the 2.0 upgrade helped a lot of the little issues I was struggling with (pixelization being the most bothersome and noticable).

Not sure what type of TV you have (Samsung DLP with DVI for me) but I found the setting needed to be changed quite a bit to get a really amazing picture but the picture is truly like projected film.

What movie are you going to buy?? Batman Begins gets my vote... or Serenity.

Dave

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Dave,
I have the standard black one :)

Well, I am all set up :) I purchased BB, but am going to wait until I get the firmware disc. Unless I get my HT internet fiasco worked out (it's a pain in my XBOX 360 as well, and I need that connection for R6Vegas :)

I did get 2/3rds of my amazon shipment...Sleepy Hollow and Pitch Black. I did peruse PB for a bit. The colors are just incredible, but the shadow and blacks are very muddy. I am very inexperienced in setting my TVs, having only played a bit. Any ideas on setting the blacks? I am running video via the HDMI.

I am thrilled to have upgraded to HD! Once I've spent some time with the player and a few movies, I'll get a review in. I'm getting V next week, plus The Chronicles of Riddick, a movie I loved the visuals on. I'll also be Netflixing plenty more...just to SEE them.

Thanks for the help today!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Fed Ex will deliver without a signature, but you'll have to sign a form giving them permission to do so. It works for me.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
GREAT news Chuck on getting a few HD movies! Regarding black levels??? That's one of those personal taste things I think. I end up having to do a bit of tweaking for some films like Bourne's HD which is really dark. I had to do this with my projector too. From what I've read, some here are mixed on what gives the most natural image regarding HDMI or component. For my set, component looks a tad more natural with colors....but that also means I won't be able to upconvert standard def dvds...

After the initial "giddiness" goes away in about a month :D...just do some comparing & spend some time calibrating since you also just bought your new TV. It will be worth it...

Enjoy. :)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
This headline is outrageous. I am a letter carrier for USPS (United States Postal Service). We are NOT UPS and we are NOT FED EX!
Furthermore if an item requires a signature on delivery of the item it is at the seller's request and NOT the delivery company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks