What's new

CRT RPTV Owners - worry about too much bass causing vibration to your set? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I guess my question is, wouldn't I have noticed something more obvious if the problem is indeed magnetism?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Alright, the problem continues.

Last night, I converged and got everything looking fantastic.

Today, it all changed again. It looks totally different again. :frowning:

Last night, it appeared the red sinked below the white crosshatch. Tonight, it appeared above the crosshatch.

I only had the speakers on for a few minutes. Would magnetism cause something like this so quickly? What are the chances that is even the problem? Maybe something else is happening?

Also, I removed my center channel off of the TV. I bought a shelf mount....now the speaker is off of the TV and up and behind it. There is still some light vibration..particularly on the top of the TV from the speaker...during loud scenes. Though, I can't see it being enough to disrupt convergence.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I should note I recently had my overscan reduced to around 2.5%. Could this be the cause? Before it was around 4 - 4.5%

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

If you reduced H and V size, you should reconverge. I doubt that the center channel or bass caused any issues. There may be drift in your set regardless, if you don't know the convergence characteristics of your display already and then you go hunting for drift, you're probably going to find it if you've never done so previously.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

This isn't unexpected particularly. You are waiting 30 minutes before converging I hope, and waiting that long before checking the convergence? It's normal for there to be some drift. Using less severe convergence adjustments and other electronic geometry controls will minimize strain/heat and thus drift. I predict that if you remove the speakers completely and watch without any audio that the same will occur, unless there are loose lenses or loose mirror something like that which I think would be pretty obvious.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I always wait one to two hours before I converge. I am very familiar with my TV’s “drift” and that’s why all of this strikes me as so unusual. I have never seen such a dramatic drift in one day.

Now, for the last couple of weeks, I have not been using “Flash Focus” as it’s disabled since my overscan is under 4%. (also the tv was re-converged after the overscan reduction). I was wondering if because my overscan is so low, it’s hard for my TV’s convergence to remain static – does this make sense?

Also, do you think having the speakers three feet from the TV is sufficient to avoid magnetism?

Here is a theory of mine. The speakers were only about a foot from the TV. Now, that they are about three feet, I will be curious to see if it drifts tonight. Maybe they were too close before and now they are at a decent distance.

I don’t believe anything is loose in the TV. I started jumping on the floor….and moving my set back and forth while watching the convergence grid to see if there was a change during it. I saw nothing change. I figure if something is loose, it would have shown up.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I talked to Infinity support today; they said keep each one at least 3-5 feet from the TV. The problem is, I can only go 3 feet max. I will do more tests over the next couple of days, but I suspect this is the issue.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I spoke with Sony. They recommend keeping speakers 2-3 feet from TV.

The also said I shoudl unplug my TV for at least 20 minutes to help rid the interference (if it's there). I know this resets some settings.

This won't reset my ISF calibration will it? I think once something is saved to the service menu, it's permanent no matter how long its unplugged.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
But this is an RPTV, so the guns are bottom front. You could have the speakers right next to the cabinet and they'd still be several feet away from the guns and have no effect.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, the issue has been resolved.

The cause? Either it was having the speakers too close to the TV (magnetism), or....more likely, the center channel simply causing vibrations.

So, each floorstanding speaker is now about 4 feet from the actual CRT.

For the center channel issue, I build a simple utility shelf and mounted it so that it's about 2 feet above my TV but on the wall which is a few inches behind the TV. This seems to have fixed the problem. However, with this big center channel (Infinity Beta C360), if the volume is loud, the bass can still be felt on the TV. But, much less than before. I wanted to keep the speaker pretty high above the TV. And, my convergence has been great the last two nights while experiment.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Do vacuums contain magnets? Just wondering...is it "safe" to vacuum near and around my RPTV?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Vacuums have big electric motors in them. But it's fine, don't worry about it. You won't hurt anything at all.

edit: i don't know if that came off sarcastic or not, but it wasn't. Vacuum away!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks