1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crowdfunding as a way forward for shows like The Defenders

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Your Tulpa, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Your Tulpa

Your Tulpa Auditioning

Bartholomew Winkempleck
    Are there any other examples of crowdfunding campaigns for classic TV shows other than Blondie and Ozzie and Harriet? I know that neither of those turned out very well but I can't help but wonder if this could be a viable option for shows with small but very dedicated fan bases, like the Defenders. It just seems ridiculous to me that all these brilliant shows should remain buried in the modern era with all of the options of technology and whatnot.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, and I don't really have anything all that substantive to say, I just want to watch the classic dramas from the early sixties in decent quality.:(:huh:

JayHink, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

You're right, you don't know what you're talking about. O&H is independently owned and PD, as is Blondie. Any of the shows you are speaking of are owned by major studios.

3. Larry.P

Larry.P Stunt Coordinator

I can see it working for independently owned shows or shows being released through a minor label. I have a lot of respect for what Classic Flix tried to do with Blondie - and in the end they still delivered a quality product. It's a difficult sell to tell someone that a multi-billion dollar company with deep pockets like CBS needs money from your pocket because they can't afford to release a show.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  4. Message #4 of 11 Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Your Tulpa

Your Tulpa Auditioning

Bartholomew Winkempleck
    I remember reading that Shout Factory having to do new film transfers for the 1st season of The Defenders made it difficult for them to make much profit on the show. Would some sort of campaign to help pay these costs be impossible?

It seems like the opportunity to see the full run in all of its glory was there, the show even sold well, but not quite enough. It bugs me.

MatthewA, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  5. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Transfer costs per season are approximately $12K. Give Shout a call and ask them if you plopped down a check for that amount if they would consider putting out season two. Good luck.

6. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Neil:

Is that 12k figure for the per season transfer costs speculative or a reasonable approximation? If it is reasonable, 36k to cover the transfer costs for the remaining 3 seasons does not strike me as completely outside the realm of possibility in terms raising such revenue via crowdfunding or other means (provided both CBS and Shout can be convinced that releasing more seasons is economically feasible for both of them). It's just a thought.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Larry:

I agree that CBS asking the public for money to release the remaining seasons of The Defenders is kinda of like Walmart asking a school district for a tax break to build a store within the district.

Flashgear likes this.
  8. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Neil:

Your point about the economic realities is well made, but the tone is a bit harsh. Your Tulpa strikes me as another excited fan of 1960s tv shows generally and The Defenders specifically that is just brainstorming about possible ways to see seasons 2, 3, and 4 get released. I, myself, have been known to be guilty of such enthusiasm :D

Flashgear, Doug Wallen and jperez like this.
  9. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

And, even if transfers were funded for another season, continuing would be contingent on the show selling the same number of units for each season, which never happens as the traditional dropoff after first season releases is 50%.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Your Tulpa

Your Tulpa Auditioning

Bartholomew Winkempleck
    It's too bad that these shows can't garner a new audience the same way that the feature-length film equivalent can.

Darby67 likes this.
  11. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    If it never happens, how can it be contingent on it?

Darby67 and howard1908 like this.