What's new

Croupier (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I rented this movie last night and I just had a quick couple of questions. First, I live in Canada, so I was wondering if there are different ever versions of this film available? The DVD had the film in Full Frame(Is that OAR?) and it had a 2.0 english channel and a 5.1 french dub!?! I know this film isn't heavy on the surrounds or anything but it seemed a little weird to have that. Eitehr way great film, just hoping that this disc is the correct specs for the film.
Thanks

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Chad, I'm pretty sure this film is 2.35:1, meaning it is severely hacked in the full-frame version.

BTW, when is this ever going to turn up as a proper disc? Originally wasn't it supposed to be some kind of Netflix exclusive. Then with the folding of The Shooting Gallery and the disappearance of a supposed Image DVD, this one has totally dropped off the map.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

The AR here is 1:85.1 (or maybe even 1:66.1). I saw it that way theatrically and taped it off Starz! that way too.

I just wish the financial problems of The Shooting Gallery could be resolved so that the rest of their catalog could be issued by Image the same way Judy Berlin was.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The film has an OAR of 1.85:1. The R2/4 versions are anamorphic and have a director's commentary. Sound is DD2.0 (not that this film needs a 5.1 mix).

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
About a year ago I saw the Croupier region free DVD for sale up in San Francisco. Like a fool I didn't buy it, not realizing just how elusive it was. This film deserved better than meager 'rental only' status. :angry: I realize that due to rights issues, Criterion could probably never touch this one, but all studio/rights issues aside, the film itself would be an ideal addition to the Criterion Collection.
Joseph

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
First off, to answer the aspect ratio question, the movie has an OAR of 1.85:1, NOT 2.35:1.

And as Mark has hinted as, there was a U.S. DVD release, and it had something to do with Netflix.

Croupier was released on 03/06/2001 through Image Entertainment. However, you won't find it listed on their site, nor for sale in any store. It was the first -- and as far as I know, only -- title to have an "exclusive" rental release (i.e., no retail release announced whatsoever).

The online retail store Netflix had a full exclusive on the title for a three-month period. After that period was over, the contract called for the distribution rights to fully revert to Image. Thereafter, Image could release the DVD for retail sale whenever they wished. And I know they did have plans for an eventually retail release...

But it's been over a year now since Image regained the distribution rights, and nothing has happened. I don't know what exactly happened, but I can only surmise something unforseen is preventing its release here.

Just as an FYI for readers, I do know that the "exclusive rental" DVD versions do exist and were pressed, as I have my own copy. The disc itself is a release version (i.e., not a test sample). As for the case, mine came in a boring plain white snapper case, with a clear sticker on the side with the title, catalog number (#ML.2.ID0596), and a tiny DVD logo printed on it. My understanding was that there were no "real" printing covers/cases made, just the white one.

Specs -- 1.85:1 widescreen, English DD 2.0 stereo. It's not anamorphic, and there are no subtitles, no trailer, no nothing. Not really surprising, since this was essentially a rental experiment, so there was no incentive for them to go all-out on the disc.

So, you've got a plain vanilla disc and case. Whatever. It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. The disc is excellent where it really counts -- the movie is wonderful, and the transfer and print source are excellent.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Not very bright on my part to go mouth off on the aspect ratio when I could have doublechecked just as easily. My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Christopher D

Second Unit
The R2 of this is quite nice -- given the apparent likelihood of a wait in R1, I'd highly recommend it to anyone with a region-free player.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, this is a strange one. i'm in Australia, and i rented Croupier about half a year ago. The DVD was full screen and i think it was only DD2.0, but just the other day i was at K-Mart and saw a single copy for sale - on the back it was advertised with anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1 and director's commentary. Pretty cool huh?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have the Region 2 Croupier DVD and I could not recommend it more. The movie itself is totally great, it sucks me in again and again and again.
The DVD is fantastic. Perfect anamorphic transfer, and one of the very best director's commentaries ever, very engaging and incredibly informative.
I especially loved the discussion on how the screenplay was transformed to screen (a subject much neglected in many commentary tracks, even if the director wrote the script(!), which isn't the case here). There is also good stuff on the use of symbolism in the film -- like the hole in the gambling table down which the punters money disappears -- just as good as down the drain. Outstanding stuff.
If you haven't figured it out yet: I LOVE the R2 Croupier DVD. For anyone who lives in the New York area, Kim's Video on St. Marks Place has a big stack of the R2 DVD.
Ted

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So this title has been bought buy Image. I'm afriad I don't know of any of their releases is someone could give me a title or two or just a review of that company that would be great. There is a chance that they just have the rights and don't plan on a rerelease for sometime now correct? Is this movie only edition selling well?
THank YOu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks