What's new

Crossover understanding (1 Viewer)

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
I have a sony STRDA555ES receiver which will crossover at 80hz when the speaker setting is set to small (Correct me if I'm wrong). I also have an old sony subwoofer (SA-W30) with the lowest crossover setting of 60hz and Polk towers (RT1000I). Since the Polks do not have a crossover setting, I assume everything below 80hz is being sent to the powered woofers, however, if the sony is set to 60hz, does that mean everything between 60hz & 80hz is lost on the sony?

DaleR

Stunt Coordinator
leon

opening the sub x-over to its highest setting, probably 150-160hz, is the correct setting for your sub. this allows the receiver to function as the x-over.

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
My choices are 60, 90 & 140hz. If the sony receiver's crossover is 80 and I set the sub to 90, then I shouldn't hear a difference between 90 & 140, right? Well I do, which makes me beleive that the receiver's crossover may not be 80hz. Is 80hz the standard? Does anyone know what the crossover is for the small/large setting on the STRDA555ES?

Vin

Supporting Actor
If the sony receiver's crossover is 80 and I set the sub to 90, then I shouldn't hear a difference between 90 & 140, right? Well I do, which makes me beleive that the receiver's crossover may not be 80hz.
The 'point' at which your receiver crosses over (usually 80 or 100Hz for most receivers, not sure what it is for the Sony), isn't a brick wall, i.e., some info above the crossover will still be reproduced by your sub. In other words, there will be a gradual attenution of signal above the crossover. (The slope of the crossover can vary from receiver to receiver). This would contribute to your hearing a difference between setting your sub's crossover at 90 or 140. Also, the LFE can contain info as high as 120Hz, which would also contribute to a difference in what you hear as you vary the crossover on the sub.

Hope this helps,

Vin

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. What I'll do is keep the setting at 140hz since the receiver crossover could be 100hz and not 80hz. I can't seem to find out what the crossover on this receiver is. Nobody seems to know.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Most Sony receivers have a user adjustable crossover at 30, 60,90,120,and 150Hz. Depending on how low your mains extend, I would set the speakers to small then set the receiver at 60 if they are towers that extend fairly low, or 90 if they are bookshelves. Then crank the sub crossover as high as it will go to get it out of the way. All this is assuming you are using a line level input, and not speaker level.

If the 555ES is THX certified, it will have a fixed crossover set at 80hz when the speakers are set to small.

Russ

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
Most Sony receivers have a user adjustable crossover at 30, 60,90,120,and 150Hz. Depending on how low your mains extend, I would set the speakers to small then set the receiver at 60 if they are towers that extend fairly low, or 90 if they are bookshelves. Then crank the sub crossover as high as it will go to get it out of the way. All this is assuming you are using a line level input, and not speaker level.
This receiver does not have an adjustable crossover setting. It would be great if it did and it should for as much as it cost! I am using the line level input and the sub is up to the max of 140hz. When I finally purchase the 20-39PCi, I guess the crossover setting on the SVS should be bypassed, correct?

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Leon,

I have the same receiver as you, and it has a fixed cross-over of 100hz. Indeed, you should set all speakers to "Small", and subwoofer to "Yes". Then either disable the cross-over on the SVS, or turn it upto maximum. This will allow the SVS to handle all the bass, while relieving this receivers not so stellar amp section of quite a bit of workload.

Cheers,

Mal

Leon B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same receiver as you, and it has a fixed cross-over of 100hz. Indeed, you should set all speakers to "Small", and subwoofer to "Yes". Then either disable the cross-over on the SVS, or turn it upto maximum. This will allow the SVS to handle all the bass, while relieving this receivers not so stellar amp section of quite a bit of workload.
Mal P...

Thank you, thank you!!!!

Now I know!!!!!

A fixed cross-over of 100hz. I've searched everywhere and could not find this information. I was about to contact Sony. How did you find it?

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver (Pioneer VSX-D509S) has crossover settings of 100, 150, 200. Which one would be the best to use with a 16-46CS? How do you decide which crossover setting to use?

Vin

Supporting Actor
Gabriel, 80Hz is usually considered the point at which sound starts to become localized (something you want to avoid). With this in mind you'd want to set your receiver's crossover to it's lowest setting (100 Hz in your case) and disable the crossover on your sub (or adjust it to it's highest setting if it doesn't have a disable switch).

Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks