Crossover understanding

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leon B, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

I have a sony STRDA555ES receiver which will crossover at 80hz when the speaker setting is set to small (Correct me if I'm wrong). I also have an old sony subwoofer (SA-W30) with the lowest crossover setting of 60hz and Polk towers (RT1000I). Since the Polks do not have a crossover setting, I assume everything below 80hz is being sent to the powered woofers, however, if the sony is set to 60hz, does that mean everything between 60hz & 80hz is lost on the sony?

2. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

leon

opening the sub x-over to its highest setting, probably 150-160hz, is the correct setting for your sub. this allows the receiver to function as the x-over.

3. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

My choices are 60, 90 & 140hz. If the sony receiver's crossover is 80 and I set the sub to 90, then I shouldn't hear a difference between 90 & 140, right? Well I do, which makes me beleive that the receiver's crossover may not be 80hz. Is 80hz the standard? Does anyone know what the crossover is for the small/large setting on the STRDA555ES?

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. What I'll do is keep the setting at 140hz since the receiver crossover could be 100hz and not 80hz. I can't seem to find out what the crossover on this receiver is. Nobody seems to know.

6. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Most Sony receivers have a user adjustable crossover at 30, 60,90,120,and 150Hz. Depending on how low your mains extend, I would set the speakers to small then set the receiver at 60 if they are towers that extend fairly low, or 90 if they are bookshelves. Then crank the sub crossover as high as it will go to get it out of the way. All this is assuming you are using a line level input, and not speaker level.

If the 555ES is THX certified, it will have a fixed crossover set at 80hz when the speakers are set to small.

Russ

7. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

9. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi Leon,

I have the same receiver as you, and it has a fixed cross-over of 100hz. Indeed, you should set all speakers to "Small", and subwoofer to "Yes". Then either disable the cross-over on the SVS, or turn it upto maximum. This will allow the SVS to handle all the bass, while relieving this receivers not so stellar amp section of quite a bit of workload.

Cheers,

Mal

10. Leon B

Leon B Stunt Coordinator

11. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

My receiver (Pioneer VSX-D509S) has crossover settings of 100, 150, 200. Which one would be the best to use with a 16-46CS? How do you decide which crossover setting to use?

12. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Gabriel, 80Hz is usually considered the point at which sound starts to become localized (something you want to avoid). With this in mind you'd want to set your receiver's crossover to it's lowest setting (100 Hz in your case) and disable the crossover on your sub (or adjust it to it's highest setting if it doesn't have a disable switch).

Vin