What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
11401049_819252868123435_7914428917184347556_n.jpg
11401502_819252934790095_660367812843330311_n.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Coming Soon! On DVD and Blu-ray!

KL Cartoons Volume 1: THE ANT AND THE AARDVARK (17 Classic Cartoons)

KL Cartoons Volume 2: THE INSPECTOR (34 Cartoons) (2 Discs)

KL Cartoons Volume 3: CRAZY LEGS CRANE (16 Cartoons)

Coming in 2016:
BLUE RACER (17 Cartoons)
DOGFATHER (17 Cartoons)
MISTERJAW (34 Cartoons) (2 Discs)
ROLAND AND RATFINK (17 Cartoons)
SHERIFF HOOT KLOOT (17 Cartoons)
TIJUANA TOADS (17 Cartoons)

11411624_820211641360891_3568146331131605993_o.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mark-P said:
A big score for Kino Lorber to get A Child is Waiting. I've been hoping for that one on Blu-ray for years. Someday I hope to own all of Garland's work on Blu-ray.
Amen to that. She is my Goddess.

First up please, 'For Me and My Gal' -- though for that, we'll have to wait for Warners.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Courtesy Facebook:

Coming December 8th - The Critically Acclaimed Sequel to F/X - Only on Blu-ray!

FX2 (1991) - Starring Bryan Brown, Brian Dennehy, Rachel Ticotin, Joanna Gleason, Philip Bosco & Kevin J. O'Connor - Directed by Richard Franklin.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Wow. That's what I get for not reading everything here!

I had no idea - and no hope - that STORM FEAR would ever see any kind of home video release. After posting at least a mention in the IMDb message section, I got a response the other day that it was coming to Blu-ray. And here I thought I was one of a handful who even knew of this film's existence.

The first, and for years, only showing of this film that I caught was probably back around 1965 to maybe 1970. It aired on a Baltimore TV station on one of those Sunday afternoon matinees that used to run on channels that had no sports. Our weekend cottage only got a few Baltimore stations, so if we wanted to watch TV, that was it. For years, all I had was memories of that showing.

It wasn't a terrifically remarkable film, I don't think. Most of those old movies on TV were b-movies that were there to fill up time, but somehow it stuck with me for a lot of years. I had forgotten the title or any of the stars, but recalled something about an impending snowstorm. Sometime in the 80s, I started to try to look it up in one of those Leonard Maltin or Roger Ebert move books. It took some doing, but I finally found it, and its title STORM FEAR. Sometime in the 90s, I saw it listed in a TV GUIDE as a LATE SHOW entry and set a video- tape machine to capture it.

Now I've actually got a Blu-ray on pre-order and can't wait. I'd learned to live with that wonky off-air VHS recording that I'd transferred to DVD-R and never dreamed it would see a professional release - let alone Blu-ray!

Thanks Kino-Lorber for helping to rescue this one from total obscurity.

Storm Fear Poster Adj.jpg

Harry

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up my first handful of Kino discs, rounding out my Cannon Films collection - and perhaps I'm spoiled by other niche studios like Shout!, but are all their discs this light on extras? I picked up Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja and River of death, and aside from commentaries (which to be fair, I haven't had a chance to listen to yet), we're talking a trailer and that's about it.

Did I just pick the three discs that are feature light, or is this the norm?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
It depends upon the title. Kino Lorber will include extras if they are provided by the studio, but they aren't producing their own. I just looked at seven Kino Lorber Blu-rays. Four have extras, three do not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tony J Case said:
I just picked up my first handful of Kino discs, rounding out my Cannon Films collection - and perhaps I'm spoiled by other niche studios like Shout!, but are all their discs this light on extras? I picked up Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja and River of death, and aside from commentaries (which to be fair, I haven't had a chance to listen to yet), we're talking a trailer and that's about it.

Did I just pick the three discs that are feature light, or is this the norm?
I think you got lucky to have a commentary and a trailer for titles that weren't blockbusters or critically acclaimed films.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the standard for extras is critical acclaim or financial success, then Scream! would be doing all bare-bones releases.

And arguably, Cannon flicks consistently made bank - well until the end, where the studio imploded. Revenge of the Ninja? That made 13 million bucks and set off the 80's Ninja craze. Sure it's no, it's no Return of the Jedi or Flashdance - but for a no-budget drive in flick, that's not too shabby.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard Gallagher said:
It depends upon the title. Kino Lorber will include extras if they are provided by the studio, but they aren't producing their own. I just looked at seven Kino Lorber Blu-rays. Four have extras, three do not.

In fact, Kino does produce new transfers and new extras, including video interviews, featurettes, and audio commentaries, just not for every release, not only for KL Studio Classics discs, but also for Kino Classics and Kino Lorber releases.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for releasing Foreign Intrigue on blu-ray which I watched last night. This is only the second time I have seen this film (on television years ago) and I really enjoyed the presentation. The colour and cinematography reminded me of another film I would like to see on blu-ray, Lisbon (Ray Milland).

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Richard Gallagher said:
Besides the previously produced studio extras (sometimes previously used and sometimes not and making their home video debuts), "Trailers From Hell" and extras produced for other territories which we've purchased, we've produced the following NEW extras just for the KLSC line, so I'm not even listing the KINO LORBER and KINO CLASSICS NEW extras, which is bountiful.

Elmer Gantry - Interview with Shirley Jones
Last Embrace - Interview with producer Michael Taylor
Gorky Park - Interview with director Michael Apted
More Dead than Alive - Interview with star Clint Walker
Sam Whiskey - Interview with star Clint Walker
White Lightning - Interview with star Burt Reynolds
Gator - Interview with star Burt Reynolds
The Package
Audio commentary by director Andrew Davis and co-star Joanna Cassidy
Interview with co-star Joanna Cassidy
Intro by director Andrew Davis
Quatermass Xperiment - Intro by legendary director John Carpenter
Avenging Force
Audio Commentary by director Sam Firstenberg and star Michael Dudikoff
Interview with star Michael Dudikoff
Intro by director Sam Firstenberg
Running Scared - Audio Commentary by director Peter Hyams
River's Edge - Audio Commentary by director Tim Hunter
Foxes
Audio Commentary by director Adrian Lyne
Interview with co-star Sally Kellerman
F..I.S.T. - "Fight For F.I.S.T." featurette - includes interviews with screenwriter Joe Eszterhas and producer Norman Jewison
Tales of Terror
Interviews with producer and director Roger Corman
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
Audio Commentary by Price Historian David Del Valle and actor David Frankham
Convoy - Audio Commentary with Film Historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, and Nick Redman
Secret Invasion - Interview with director/producer Roger Corman
Premature Burial - "Buried Alive" Legendary director Joe Dante on Premature Burial
X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes
Terror Vision! Legenday Director Joe Dante on X
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
Revenge of the Ninja
Audio Commentary by director Sam Firstenberg and Stunt Coordinator Steven Lambert
Intro by Sam Firstenberg
River of Death - Audio commentary by director Steve Carver and star Michael Dudikoff
F/X - Interview with Director Robert Mandel
Onion Field - Interview with star John Savage
An Eye For an Eye - Audio commentary by director Steve Carver
Needful Things - Audio Commentary with Director Fraser C. Heston and film historian Walt Olsen
Cops and Robbers - Interview with Star Joseph Bologna
Deranged
Audio Commentary by Writer and Director Alan Ormsby
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Harland Smith
New Featurette Produced by Producer Tom Karr
Truck Turner
Audio Commentary by Director Jonathan Kaplan
Blown Away - Audio Commentary by Director Stephen Hopkins
Madhouse
Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
Brand New Featurette
House of 1,000 Dolls - Audio Commentary with Film Historian David Del Valle and Filmmaker David DeCoteau
Black Sabbath (AIP) - Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
Miracle Mile
Audio Commentary with Director Steve De Jarnatt and Film Critic Walter Chaw
Audio Commentary with Steve De Jarnatt, DP Theo van de Sande and Production Designer Chris Horner
Excavations From the Editing Room Tar Pits – Deleted Scenes, Outtakes and Bloopers
Supporting Cast and Crew Reunion
Harry and Julie: Interview with stars Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham
Alternate Diamond Ending
Cherry 2000 - Audio Commentary by Director Steve De Jarnatt
Zone Troopers
Audio Commentary by Director Danny Bilson and screenwriter Paul De Meo
Interview with Tim Thomerson
War-Gods of the Deep - Interview with co-star Tab Hunter
Monster That Challenged the World - Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tom Weaver
Navajo Joe - Audio Commentary by Film Historian Gary Palmucci
Vigilante Force (9/8) - Audio Commentary with Director George Armitage and Filmmaker Elijah Drenner

and dozens more for our upcoming releases.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
MisterLime said:
Besides the previously produced studio extras (sometimes previously used and sometimes not and making their home video debuts), "Trailers From Hell" and extras produced for other territories which we've purchased, we've produced the following NEW extras just for the KLSC line, so I'm not even listing the KINO LORBER and KINO CLASSICS NEW extras, which is bountiful. It's also funny to see who actually liked this incorrect post.

My mistake, for which I apologize. I have some of those titles, so I should have known better.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I watched Big House, U.S.A. last night and was pleased with it. I had never seen it before, and although it sounds like a prison film it actually is about a kidnapping gone wrong. The great cast includes Broderick Crawford, Ralph Meeker, Charles Bronson, Lon Chaney Jr., and William Talman. There is some great location filming in and around the Royal Gorge in Colorado.

The print is in excellent shape for the most part. And it's a bargain, currently selling for $9.99 at Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks