What's new

Criterion's Straw Dogs now a 2-disc set! (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Christ, I was all smug and secure in the knowledge that I wouldn't have to buy both the R2 and the Criterion, but they've just made it very difficult indeed!
Here are the new specs:
Disc One
- New high-definition digital transfer of the uncut version, enhanced for widescreen televisions
- Audio commentary by film scholar Stephen Prince
- Isolated music and effects track
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
Disc Two
- Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron - an 80 min. documentary on Sam Peckinpah
- Behind the scenes footage
- On Location: Dustin Hoffman on the set of Straw Dogs
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- New Video interviews with Susan George and Daniel Melnick
- Original theatrical and television trailers
- Peckinpah Responds: Select letters to critics and viewers
Anyone in doubt as to whether to buy this or not should take into account that Criterion's licence for this only lasts about a year, at which point it will most likely go OOP in early 2004 and pass over to MGM.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I've already got the R2 release but that documentary sounds very tempting. I think I'll have to wait for some reviews before making my mind up. If the documentary is excellent or the transfer is a step up from the R2 version, I'll make the upgrade.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
And I was smug in the assumption that the Criterion would be an American release that would merely license the British features. Now I must get the Criterion, if only for the documentary.

Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron was broadcast by the BBC in 1992 and it is superb. I assume this is the same film. It is probably the most detailed, insightful documentary portrait I have ever seen of a great director. I still have a faded VHS tape of it and watch it every now and then. The interview subjects are superb, including James Coburn, Monte Hellman, Ali MacGraw, Kris Kristofferson, Alan Sharp and Peckipah's life long friend, Jim Silk. The film gives real insight into Peckinpah's personality and his art. If this is on the Criterion, Straw Dogs DVD I too will need to get it after already buying the excelllent R2 version. One point though, the BBC version was 90 minutes long so it may have been edited for the Criterion disk.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
MAN OF IRON!!??!! Too damn right I'm getting this set!!!
I have been looking for a DVD release of this superb documentary for years since I first saw it on A&E circa-1993....thank you Criterion.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
The R1 Criterion release specs are stated above and here are the ones for the UK R2.

DVD Special Features:

Expert commentary with Peckinpah biographers Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons & David Weddle
Commentary with Katy Haber, dialogue director and Peckinpah's assistant
Isolated Oscar-nominated Jerry Fielding score in stereo featuring additonal scores
Interview with Peckinpah's biographer Garner Simmons
Interview with Susan George
Info on deleted scenes (via shooting script & stills)
History of Straw Dogs and the Censor
Behind the B&W scenes/on location stills
Original B&W publicity stills
Original colour publicity stills
Original colour lobby cards
Original 1971 film posters from around the world
Reviews, views & correspondence (including Peckinpah letters and BBFC rejection letters)
1971 Television South West on location documentary
1971 Original US Theatrical Trailer
1971 Original US TV and Radio ad spots

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
You know what would be the best extra on this already impressive sounding DVD?

Monty Python's rousing "SALAD DAYS by Sam Peckinpah".

Perhaps as an Easter Egg?

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
To heck with it - a number of the extras are exclusive to each release and the reviews for the R2 extras have been very, very good. The new Criterion specs are also much more impressive than what was originally announced, (maybe because they were aware of the competing R2 edition?). I'm just going to get both of them, and will probably pack them in a single keepcase (like the GLADIATOR disc, with a little hinged flap inside to stick a second disc on) with the best cover facing outwards to make the ultimate STRAW DOGS edition imaginable. Some might find it odd but it works for me...

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
While I admit to being annoyed somewhat that Sam Peckinpah’s STRAW DOGS (1971) will be co-existing in 2 separate SEs – and who knows what will be on MGM’s DVD once the rights revert to them! – I cannot say that, deep down, I feel like I did the wrong thing by immediately purchasing the R2 disc when it came out last October. I’m listing once again all the specs of both releases, so everyone here can compare them – and make up his own mind which version is truly the most comprehensive (the supplements written in Caps are exclusive to each edition):
FREMANTLE MEDIA:
1.'On Location' documentary by Television South West (1971)
2.Original U.S. theatrical trailer
3.Original U.S. TV spots
4.ORIGINAL U.S. RADIO SPOTS
5.AUDIO COMMENTARY FROM PECKINPAH BIOGRAPHERS PAUL SEYDOR, GARNER SIMMONS AND DAVID WEDDLE
6.AUDIO COMMENTARY FROM KATY HABER, DIALOGUE DIRECTOR AND PECKINPAH'S LOVER/ASSISTANT
7.INTERVIEW WITH PECKINPAH'S BIOGRAPHER GARNER SIMMONS
8.Interview with producer Dan Melnick
9.Interview with actress Susan George
10.INFORMATION ON THE DELETED SCENES (VIA SHOOTING SCRIPT & STILLS)
11.A HISTORY OF 'STRAW DOGS' AND THE BRITISH CENSOR
12.ON LOCATION AND PUBLICITY STILLS GALLERY
13.TRIVIA AND FILM FACTS
14.Re-printed letters/memos from the filmmakers and the BBFC
15.BIOGRAPHIES OF DUSTIN HOFFMAN, SUSAN GEORGE, SAM PECKINPAH, DAN MELNICK AND JERRY FIELDING
16.Isolated musical score
Bottom line: Misses out on 2, maybe 3 (albeit interesting) supplements from Criterion’s bulky and pricey 2-Disc Set. [I purchased my copy from Play.com at GBP 14.99, equivalent to $24.22].
CRITERION:
Disc One:
1.AUDIO COMMENTARY BY FILM SCHOLAR STEPHEN PRINCE
2.Isolated music and effects track
Disc Two:
3.SAM PECKINPAH: MAN OF IRON - AN 80 MIN. DOCUMENTARY ON SAM PECKINPAH
4.BEHIND THE SCENES FOOTAGE
5.On Location: Dustin Hoffman on the set of Straw Dogs
6.New Video interview with Susan George
7.New Video interview with Daniel Melnick
8.Original theatrical and television trailers
9.Peckinpah Responds: Select letters to critics and viewers
Bottom line: Misses out on 9 (count’ em!) supplements – all STRAW DOGS-related (unlike the Peckinpah documentary here) – from Fremantle Media’s R2 version, as well as occupying more space on one’s shelf and costing a good $7.20 more [If I were to purchase this from DVD Empire, the amount would be approx. $31.42, including shipping charges!].
Regarding the documentary SAM PECKINPAH: MAN OF IRON, I only hope that as Criterion’s rights will only last for a year, Warners could lap them up for an eventual 2-Disc Set re-issue of THE WILD BUNCH! That said, I will be missing Stephen Prince’s Audio Commentary (he did a marvelous job on Kurosawa’s REDBEARD [1965], also from Criterion) – but this does not justify shelling out $30.00 or so on another edition of STRAW DOGS (even if the transfer were to be improved, not that I have any qualms about Fremantle Media’s work)!

The treatment of STRAW DOGS on both R1 and R2 DVD is terrific, but when can we expect a decent special edition of Peckinpah's greatest film THW WILD BUNCH?
A replacement of the old flipper is long past due. I would love to see ot with a commentary by Paul Seydor and David Weddle. Since it is a Warner's title hopefully they will issue it in a 2 disc set like their recent re-issue of UNFORGIVEN.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Sam Peckinpah: Man Of Iron is a stunning documentary. It was actually repeated about two years ago on BBC 2.
I already have the region 2 edition of Straw Dogs and I was about 80% sure that I was gonna buy the Criterion edition, but now that Man Of Iron has been added, I am 100% sure I'll get it! :D
Hopefully, MGM will release a high-quality edition of Alfredo Garcia this year. I've heard rumours, and that's not good enough. I have also heard rumours of a remake starring Benicio Del Torro as Bennie, and if this is true, then as much as I hate to use the word, a 'cash-in' DVD of the original would be most welcome. ;)
Also owned by MGM...
The Deadly Companions
Ride The High Country
Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
The Killer Elite is on DVD, but a remaster would be nice! :D
Columbia own Major Dundee
Fox own The Osterman Weekend
And Warner own The Ballad Of Cable Hogue
I look forward to Criterion's edition of Straw Dogs.
Gordy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Fox own The Osterman Weekend and is indeed a great movie, the book is also very well written
I would love to own the dvd as well
:emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Osterman Weekend is okay. The two Peckinpah films I would love to see on Special Edition DVD, are Alfredo Garcia and Pat Garrett. But some people hate those films! MGM seem a bit too preoccupied with those AIP and Embassy titles at present, and films that they have always owned the video rights for like, Bad Day At Black Rock languish in the vaults! I'm joking of course, I love the Midnite Movies series. The balls it takes to create and release a double-pack of Psych-Out and The Trip with extra features! :emoji_thumbsup:
I wonder if MGM would release this masterpiece as part of the Midnite Movies?! :p)
Heh heh heh.
Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks