Criterion's Straw Dogs now a 2-disc set!

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor
Reaction score
just discovered that on Feb 28, a 2 disc of Straw Dogs will be released in the Netherlands. I will try to find more info on the specs

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Corrections:

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY and PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID are now owned by Warner Bros., by the Turner buyout;

THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND, although released by Fox, is owned by StudioCanal -- this would fall under Anchor Bay's license.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Reaction score
I was a little underwhelmed by the Straw dogs r2 transfer. I was expecting grain and the odd artefacts due to the age of the movie but there were compression artefacts visible throughout the movie. I feel robbed again after hearing news of a new version.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Agreed - there's nearly four hours of stuff on that R2 disc, and it shows! It has a very flat video look to it. I'm hoping the Criterion will get some depth and filmic quality back into it.

Kevin M

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm hoping the Criterion will get some depth and filmic quality back into it.
Spread out on two disks and coming from Criterion? I'm not particularly worried about the quality of the transfer or the authoring, it will look fine I'm sure.

Gordon McMurphy

Producer
Reaction score
Got the disc yesterday. Great transfer: smooth, sharp and with more vibrant colours than the Fremantle region 2 disc (which I also own) and the MTI digital restoration to remove the scratches, dirt etc makes this transfer considerably better than the very good Fremantle transfer.
Sam Peckinpah: Man Of Iron is a superb documentary, and as expected, all the film clips - save Straw Dogs and a 3-second letterboxed clip of the exploding chicken's head from Pat Garrett - have been removed due to copyright issues, but Criterion have used some excellent balck and white still photos in their place, which is perhaps just as well, as I think that many of the clips were fuzzy and/or pan and scan anyway. Just like the 1978 docu on Fear And Loathing, I am over-joyed to have this great piece of work on DVD.
I haven't listened to Price's commentary yet.
Excellent booklet as always from Criterion.
A must-have for fans.
Now... bring me the DVD of ALFREDO GARCIA!

Gordy

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance Gordon.

Stephen Prince's commentary on Red Beard was brilliant and allowed you to see the film on a whole new level, in terms of both crucial knowledge of Japanese culture and Kurosawa's filmmaking technique, so I'm really looking forward to this set!

Gordon McMurphy

Producer
Reaction score
You're gonna love the DVD, Jon!

I love Peckinpah's films. Raw power. Pat Garrett is urgently needed on DVD. I hope that the rumours of MGM working on a Alfredo Garcia DVD are true. That movie is perhaps the ne plus ultra of insane, over-the-top, hell-for-leather American movies from the Seventies. Oates - what a hero for these jilted modern times. Man, I wish he was still alive and makin' movies.
Anchor Bay are working on a 2-disc of The Osterman Weekend.
Ride The High Country is a masterpiece. A DVD, please.
Could Major Dundee ever be restored to as close to Peckinaph's cut as possible? At least let Elmer Bernstein (for example) re-score the film - the score it has is awful.
Gordy

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Let's not forget Sam Peckinpah's Cross Of Iron, a great war flick. I wish it would get a new release, its only available in P&S now.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Well, they're not all-singing-all-dancing, but they are beautifully designed and capture the bland/brutal tone of the film superbly.

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Gordy
Thanks for the comments about Criterion's Straw Dogs release, so I will buy this one instead of R2
Cheers
Oscar

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Just picked the Criterion STRAW DOGS here in NYC. From what I have seen, it appears to be the typically excellent Criterion production.

A sticker on the plastic wrap says "SPECIAL EDITION: Available For A Limited Time" but I cannot find any info related to this at the Criterion website. Anyone know the story on this?

-Bill

Gordon McMurphy

Producer
Reaction score
My copy didn't have a sticker stating "SPECIAL EDITION: Available For A Limited Time". Due to the fact that the extras are owned by two seperate companies, the rights are only for a short period of time? I hope not; it's a great DVD and should be available for years to come, a must-own DVD of a must-see masterpiece, in my opinion.

Gordy

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Reaction score
A sticker on the plastic wrap says "SPECIAL EDITION: Available For A Limited Time" but I cannot find any info related to this at the Criterion website. Anyone know the story on this?
I know I read somewhere that the license for this title was only for one year, and that the license will most probably not be extended after that, due to the high license fee...

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Reaction score
Owners of the original on r2 should be offered discount or vouchers for the new special edition in my opinion. The effort should be there in the first place.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Owners of the original on r2 should be offered discount or vouchers for the new special edition in my opinion. The effort should be there in the first place.
What on earth...?
For starters Criterion has no business catering to R2 owners (least of all giving refunds!), and in any case, legally can't do a thing because it infringes on the rights of the UK distributors.
Secondly, it wasn't Criterion who put out the original disc, it was Anchor Bay, so Criterion have not even the faintest obligation to refund consumers for another company's product.
Thirdly, the disc will be in print for one year only. I asked Jon Mulvaney (the Criterion spokesperson) and he said in 2004 the rights go over to MGM, so get 'em while they're hot!

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor
Reaction score
for those that imported this one, can you sent me a PM where you got this from ?
Thanks

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I'm curious about the cut film clips in the Man of Iron documentary, I suppose this means that the wonderful "non-sequitur scene" story that James Coburn & Kris Krisofferson tell (regarding the troubles that Peckinpah had to go through in order to create ART) will not be able to actually show the scene discussed....that's a shame.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zambrota