What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Dazed and Confused (1993) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
YkcvjxGdabDf1sRtLq3hlnxPFkEcUS_large.jpg
America, 1976. The last day of school. Bongs blaze, bell-bottoms ring, and rock and roll rocks. Among the best teen films ever made, Dazed and Confused eavesdrops on a group of seniors-to-be and incoming freshmen. A launching pad for a number of future stars, the first studio effort by Richard Linklater also features endlessly quotable dialogue and a blasting, stadium-ready soundtrack. Sidestepping nostalgia, Dazed and Confused is less about “the best years of our lives” than the boredom, angst, and excitement of teenagers waiting . . . for something to happen.
Dazed and Confused

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 102 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #336

DIRECTOR-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration of the director’s cut, supervised and approved by director Richard Linklater and cinematographer Lee Daniel, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray of the film with special features
  • Audio commentary by Linklater
  • Making “Dazed,” a documentary by Kahane Cooperman
  • Rare on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
  • Footage from the ten-year-anniversary celebration
  • Audition footage and deleted scenes
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing PLUS: Essays by critics Kent Jones, Jim DeRogatis, and Chuck Klosterman; reprinted recollections of the filming from cast and crew; and character profiles from the Dazed and Confused companion book; as well as the original film poster by Frank Kozik

Cover by Marc English

February 21, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Criterion blu-ray is over 10 years old. Although it was much better than the Universal blu-ray, it still looks dated when projected now. One of my favourite films from college days.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I remember back in the mid 90s using the newly released LD as a demo for my A/V setup. And on top of that, it was a fantastic film!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I remember back in the mid 90s using the newly released LD as a demo for my A/V setup. And on top of that, it was a fantastic film!
Yes - I remember how stoked my friends and I were, when Sweet Emotion started playing over the Universal logo and into the credits. The soundtrack played from the laserdisc was sensational - I subsequently went out and purchased both soundtrack CDs (sadly, Sweet Emotion was on neither). Richard Linklater's Everybody Wants Some!! was supposed to be a kind of sequel, but never matched Dazed and Confused.

71moKAFhVoL._AC_SL1425_.jpg 61nkCZ8uAuS._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Terrific movie and a great Criterion title. However, the Criterion blu-ray lacks the deleted scenes that are on the original DVD. I wonder if the new 4k release can include them.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Yes - I remember how stoked my friends and I were, when Sweet Emotion started playing over the Universal logo and into the credits. The soundtrack played from the laserdisc was sensational - I subsequently went out and purchased both soundtrack CDs (sadly, Sweet Emotion was on neither). Richard Linklater's Everybody Wants Some!! was supposed to be a kind of sequel, but never matched Dazed and Confused.
I have a lot of affection for Everybody Wants Some!!, which is a very good movie in its own right and really suffered from the whole "spiritual sequel to Dazed" label that got affixed to it early in its making. It's not Dazed (which is an all-time classic, IMO, and one of the two or three best movies about high school ever made), but it's a lot of fun and lightly poignant, and does some interesting things with Linklater's favorite themes.

Also, for anyone who loves Dazed, Melissa Maerz's Alright Alright Alright (published in 2020) is a hugely enjoyable oral history that features great retrospective interviews with nearly the whole cast (including Affleck and McConaughey) and crew. Can't recommend it highly enough.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Terrific movie and a great Criterion title. However, the Criterion blu-ray lacks the deleted scenes that are on the original DVD. I wonder if the new 4k release can include them.
Do you mean the original Universal DVD/Blu-ray? I didn't realize that there were different deleted scenes on that one...

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I have a lot of affection for Everybody Wants Some!!, which is a very good movie in its own right and really suffered from the whole "spiritual sequel to Dazed" label that got affixed to it early in its making.
I don't disagree. In fact, it's (oddly) almost a spiritual sequel to Boyhood at the same time...

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

View attachment 162540 View attachment 162541
Very true about Sweet Emotion opening up the film, and unfortunately not being on the CD soundtracks. IMO, you take off Cherry Bomb from the first CD and replace it with Sweet Emotion, and you quite possibly have the greatest collection of rock tunes associated with any film

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Are they using the same exact packaging as the old Criterion BD?

If so, lazy and stupid.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Are they using the same exact packaging as the old Criterion BD?

If so, lazy and stupid.
Lazy and stupid? Can't believe people are still complaining about cover designs and packaging. As Bill Hunt said, people should just be really, really grateful that they are getting any new physical media at all.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
It is standard for Criterion to use the existing cover art for format upgrades if there are no changes to the content.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Lazy and stupid? Can't believe people are still complaining about cover designs and packaging. As Bill Hunt said, people should just be really, really grateful that they are getting any new physical media at all.
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid,
1668757841016.png
;D!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Even with the "hands off" recycled audio approach and years old packaging I ordered this today.
I can't pass up one of my favorite movies, even if it is just an image upgrade.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Aren’t all the the front covers for Criterion 4Ks identical to their Blus?

Yup.

They have a little sticker on the shrinkwrap to say "4K UHD" but otherwise - same!

Which sucks in my Amazon links for my reviews because readers can't actually tell which one is which.

Wish the Amazon images at least showed the sticker!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the video image is an amazing upgrade over the previous BD. It is worth the $38.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks