What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion to release Orson Welles’ ‘Othello’ in 2015 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Very cool. I just saw this for the first time earlier in the year and enjoyed it.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have mixed feelings about this. Apparently, they are using the so-called restored version with the re-recorded score. There was nothing wrong with the original score as recorded. I actually prefer the original score. I'll wait for reviews. If this was the original version, I'd be pre-ordering immediately. I may stick with my Criterion laserdisc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
David_B_K said:
I have mixed feelings about this. Apparently, they are using the so-called restored version with the re-recorded score. There was nothing wrong with the original score as recorded. I actually prefer the original score. I'll wait for reviews. If this was the original version, I'd be pre-ordering immediately. I may stick with my Criterion laserdisc.
That definitely seemed a little "off" to me in the screening I saw - which was the 1992 (?) restoration redone in either 2K or 4K. A release that included the original European version is something I'd buy (and apparently exists in some form or another), but I'm not sure if I'd want to own the version I saw. I enjoyed it but not sure if it's something I'd watch multiple times.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Or, you could get the blu-ray right now from France if you've gone multi-region. It's a Carlotta release so removable subs, too.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The French box set release looks nice, but has 2 discs region free and the others region b locked. Also, all those extras are in French without English subtitles. Criterion will have nice extras, as always. Plus they may include an alternate version. If the price were to drop enough I would buy the French box with Macbeth and Othello.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks