What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion to release Bergman's Fanny & Alexander (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Very glad to hear about this amazing film becoming available here, especially being given the full Criterion treatment. I've still got my Region 2 set to tide me over until November. :)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
One of the best films I have ever seen and the longer version is even better.
I too have it R2 but I can't wait for the Criteron edition!

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent news - I was on the verge of getting the very fine R2, but now I can just relax! :)

Are any other Bergmans planned by Criterion?

S

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
I'm predicting a 4 disc boxset with an accompanying book.

They need 2 discs to include the original 5 hour TV version, another for the 3 hour theatrical version and a 4th for the extras! And knowing Criterion and their love of all things Bergman, I'm sure they will include a booklet with lots of essays and info on Bergman's swansong!

AlexHL

Stunt Coordinator
This is truly wonderful news. Could well be one of the best DVD sets to come out this year.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I've never seen the longer TV version, but I found the TV version of Scenes From a Marriage much better than the film.

8 hours of Bergman. Probably not a healthy marathon but one I'll put myself through none the less.

ShaunS

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Wow!!!!!!!!! Such good news :emoji_thumbsup:

I was looking forward the GWTW 4 discs special edition with restless anticipation, but now I have another good reason to wish november comes early this year.

And no, Marc, this set will be MINE :D

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
So what's the packaging going to be like for a 5 disc set...a mammoth 5-disc amaray? Or something along the lines of Brazil/Antoine Doinel? Can't wait for this one...

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion usually does an EXCELLENT job in the cover art department. I think particularly that the Truffaut/Doinel box set was simply brilliant.

I hope they apply the same rich creative imagination to this anticipated box set.

Can't wait.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I hope for this release Criterion stays away from the box used in the Traffaut and Fassbinder set.

They look quite nice, but the box is much too easy to get dinged with creases and shelf-wear and such. Sometimes it comes that way directly from Amazon (or whatever e-tailer).

I want more durability.

That said, I'm still owning it even if it does come in cardboard.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I think that the packaging will be a double Amaray case for the theatrical and a triple Amaray for the longer cut housed in a cardboard case. Or it could be a gatefold containing all 5 discs, but I hope not.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
............god I can't wait for this...looks like it might be similar packaging to the boxsets, hard to tell from those pics...nice coverart though, as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks