What's new

Criterion Press Release: Smooth Talk (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
UPrUvRPg7zdHJbCZnjgvkVQ8Fbfz85_large.jpg

Suspended between carefree youth and the harsh realities of the adult world, a teenage girl experiences an unsettling awakening in this haunting vision of innocence lost. Based on the celebrated short story “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?” by Joyce Carol Oates, the narrative debut from Joyce Chopra features a revelatory breakout performance by Laura Dern as Connie, the fifteen-year-old black sheep of her family whose summertime idyll of beach trips, mall hangouts, and innocent flirtations is shattered by an encounter with a mysterious stranger (a memorably menacing Treat Williams). Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance, Smooth Talk captures the thrill and terror of adolescent sexual exploration as it transforms the conventions of a coming-of-age story into something altogether more troubling and profound.
FILM INFO
  • Joyce Chopra
  • United States, United Kingdom
  • 91 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1068
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
  • New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director Joyce Chopra, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Conversation among Chopra, author Joyce Carol Oates, and actor Laura Dern from the 2020 New York Film Festival, moderated by TCM host Alicia Malone
  • New interview with Chopra
  • New interview with production designer David Wasco
  • KPFK Pacifica Radio interview with Chopra from 1985
  • Joyce at 34 (1972), Girls at 12 (1975), and Clorae and Albie (1976), three short films by Chopra
  • Audio reading of the 1966 Life magazine article “The Pied Piper of Tucson,” which inspired the short story by Oates
  • Trailers
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by poet Honor Moore, a 1986 New York Times article by Oates about the adaptation, and Oates’s 1966 short story “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?”
  • More!

New cover based on an original theatrical poster by Vincent Topazio

February 23, 2021

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm intrigued by this. I've always thought Laura Dern to be a marvellous actress. After seeing her in Little Women and Marriage Story this year, it will interesting to go back and see her in one of her first major roles.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
“Thank the merciful bloodstained gods!”

it’s restored!

long story on this one, made short.

the camera neg was being stored in a carton with the word Knorr on the side, and returned from a lab, had been left on the loading dock. Someone inadvertently dropped it at a local food kitchen for migrant workers (domestic), and the entire carton was dumped in a giant pot. Water added, brought to a boil, along with some fresh vegetables.

needless to say, once the bits of carrot and celery were rinsed away, it was in quite a state.

never looked quite right after that. Worse than the damaged reels of Brothers Grimm.

very good film, which deserves this superior treatment.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this years ago when the MGM DVD was released. I can't say I remember much about it, which usually means I didn't much care for it.

Why can't we get the ultimate scorching hot Lara Dern role in 'Rambling Rose' on BD with great performances by all involved...especially Robert Duvall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks