What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Harris said:
If you're going to take that attitude, take this!
Thank you, thank you, and thank you. I love to read presentation letters and memos from the producers and directors. In running Theatres even today I try to get the managers follow these. Right down to checking sound levels. This is the way it was supposed to happen.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Morgan said:
I may not be remembering this correctly, but was there a scene where Berle and Thomas actually rents that car in the longer cut? I think I remember questioning how they got that car (after their fight) when I first saw the film in 1964.
A few years ago, the 70mm print I saw had the police calls restored and I seem to remember that one of the comments on the call was about them renting the car. So, was this incident only covered by the police calls?
Precisely. The police calls advanced the entire story line during the intermission.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Neil S. Bulk said:
Does this mean you'll be duplicating the 5 minute pause at the intermission? ;)
It's generally a fifteen minute break, during which you'll be able to sell concessions. Once you start reel 16, please do not run audio into the bathrooms.

RAH

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
John Morgan said:
I may not be remembering this correctly, but was there a scene where Berle and Thomas actually rents that car in the longer cut? I think I remember questioning how they got that car (after their fight) when I first saw the film in 1964.
A few years ago, the 70mm print I saw had the police calls restored and I seem to remember that one of the comments on the call was about them renting the car. So, was this incident only covered by the police calls?
If I recall correctly, either just before or just after intermission there is a montage with one of the policemen giving an "update" on where everyone has gotten to, and part of that is saying that "Finch and the Englishman have rented a car and are headed south" or some such thing.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My eBay copy of the souvenir program showed up. It is in very good condition for something 50 years old. I would scan and post, but my scanner is too small.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Moe Dickstein said:
If I recall correctly, either just before or just after intermission there is a montage with one of the policemen giving an "update" on where everyone has gotten to, and part of that is saying that "Finch and the Englishman have rented a car and are headed south" or some such thing.
In all versions I've seen from the 2001 DVD, TCM's, and 2012 Blu-ray all have the update in which then leads into the cop saying "They should all be meeting up in about 10 mins or so" it then it cuts to Capt. Culpepper who's staring at the big map on the wall looking at Mexico and then says "That he feels like a hot fudge sundae with whip cream and cherry on top"

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Here is the cover of the souvenir program that accompanied the Australian premiere engagement.

iammmmw1.jpg

I wonder whatever happened to the Jack Davis original artwork? Is it in a private collection somewhere?
I'd love to know.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Robert Harris said:
The file attached above was apparently created several weeks before the opening.

For those who wish to double-check running time from footage the magic number is 112.5

RAH
Thanks for your reasoned response to my earlier criticism.

You've twice referred to the police calls as being on Reel 16, but the Technical Bulletin says Reel 6, so here I am confused again.

I'm glad you said the T.B. was several weeks before the opening, because that 3 hours and 30 minutes threw me ... although it now shows that the first cut really was 210 minutes, as widely reported.

Of course, now I want to see that original 210 minute cut ... are any of the missing approximately 12 minutes still in existence?

According to the T.B., the police calls are 6:19. Subtracting that from 197:40 gives 191:21, which sounds just about right. :)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Douglas R said:
That's great Adrian. I saw the film at the Royalty but I'm not sure exactly when. Was it showing at both cinemas simultaneously?
The Royalty had a move over of Grimm from the Coliseum and that's where I first saw it.
Also saw IAMMMMW at the Coliseum and recall those " funny " voices during the intermission.
Doug, you probably saw a move over of Mad World at the Royalty as it seemed only to show mover overs by the mid 60's such as Greatest Story, etc.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Just to change the pace a bit. Here's a little brainteaser for all the" It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" fanatics out there.
How many of these special guest stars can you name?

iammmmw3.jpg
iammmmw4.jpg

Good Luck. :) (answers on next page)

Doug.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Here are the answers to the IAMMMMW quiz on the previous page.
If you don't want to know their names look away now. :)
Top to Bottom.
Column 1. Paul Ford, The 3 Stooges, Arnold Stang, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Barrie Chase, Ben Blue
Column 2. Buster Keaton, Edward Everett Horton, Carl Reiner, Allen Jenkins, Jim Backus
Column 3. Andy Devine, Sterling Holloway, Charles McGraw, Madlyn Rhue, Alan Carney, Don Knotts, Zasu Pitts
Column 4. Stan Freberg, Leo Gorcy, Joe E Brown, Marvin Kaplan, Norman Fell, Jesse White, Peter Falk.

Normal thread discussion will now resume. :wacko:

Doug.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joe Lugoff said:
Thanks for your reasoned response to my earlier criticism. You've twice referred to the police calls as being on Reel 16, but the Technical Bulletin says Reel 6, so here I am confused again. I'm glad you said the T.B. was several weeks before the opening, because that 3 hours and 30 minutes threw me ... although it now shows that the first cut really was 210 minutes, as widely reported. Of course, now I want to see that original 210 minute cut ... are any of the missing approximately 12 minutes still in existence? According to the T.B., the police calls are 6:19. Subtracting that from 197:40 gives 191:21, which sounds just about right. :)
Don't be confused. Projection reel 6 out of 9, contains negative.reels 16-18.RAH

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Since I have sworn off MAD WORLD until January 2014, I was thinking about the now-quaint lyrics that lead into the Intermission about "step into the lobby...for a drink or smoke" and realized that (if my memory is not failing), that there is absolutely no smoking on screen in the entire film. Am I remembering correctly? Never thought about it until now, not that it is important.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neil S. Bulk said:
Doesn't Barrie Chase light up a cigarette when Sylvester is on the phone?
I think you're right, Neil. Forgot about that. And is Carl Reiner nervously smoking a cigarette in the airport tower?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks