What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Michael Rogers said:
If MGM ever decides to do a full blown restoration, then 8K would be in order.
The base film needs no restoration beyond its dupes. The premiere roadshow cannot be restored in anything higher than HD quality. The elements are gone. There is really nothing futher to be done, beyond what Criterion has accomplished.RAH

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Billy Batson said:
I bought a Blu-ray player to see a movie, it was the Smilebox version of How The West Was Won (Smilebox version only on the Blu-ray), well worth it. I've only bought Blu-rays for the past couple of years.
HTWWW was the title that pushed me into Blu-ray also. Just as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON pushed me into 3D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Reed Grele said:
Welcome Mike!

I was so hyped about the upcoming release that I built a new 2.76x1 screen for it.
The pictures you posted of your screen reminded me of when Ben Hur first came out on DVD. A guy on this forum built a "Constant Area" screen with masking he could control on all four sides that allowed him to have a 2.76:1 image that had the same area of illumination on the screen as a 1.33:1 image (and everything in between, different masking presets for all the ratios!). So the screen was truly mammoth, the widest it got was for 2.76:1 and the tallest it got was for 1.33:1 but the square footage of image on the screen was pretty much the same for every ratio.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
The base film needs no restoration beyond its dupes. The premiere roadshow cannot be restored in anything higher than HD quality. The elements are gone. There is really nothing futher to be done, beyond what Criterion has accomplished.RAH
Well, that's it then. Glad most of it could be salvaged in one form or another good enough for HD.

Keith Frisby

Auditioning
Michael Rogers said:
Well, that's it then.Glad most of it could be salvaged in one form or another good enough for HD.
I am another long time lurker at the forum , and have finally decided to register mostly to thank Mr. Harris and Co. for their superb efforts on what is a beloved film for me..

One question I have for Mr. Harris , what are the chances that one day a dupe of the Roadshow version will turn up in a "forgotten archive" , as recently happen with the BBC finding some 1960's era DR WHO Episodes in a Nigerian transfer hub?

I know you and others have done much searching over the years , but do you think you are at the stage where you can say that any dupes of The Roadshow version have been accouted for or could something still show up one day?

Thanks again for all your efforts and the pleasure you have brought to us all on this and your other projects.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keith,

Welcome aboard. Appreciate you registering and
hope you stay here with us for awhile.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Keith Frisby said:
I am another long time lurker at the forum , and have finally decided to register mostly to thank Mr. Harris and Co. for their superb efforts on what is a beloved film for me..

One question I have for Mr. Harris , what are the chances that one day a dupe of the Roadshow version will turn up in a "forgotten archive" , as recently happen with the BBC finding some 1960's era DR WHO Episodes in a Nigerian transfer hub?

I know you and others have done much searching over the years , but do you think you are at the stage where you can say that any dupes of The Roadshow version have been accouted for or could something still show up one day?

Thanks again for all your efforts and the pleasure you have brought to us all on this and your other projects.
Keith,

Welcome to HTF.

To answer your question, in a word, doubtful.

Extremely doubtful.

There were never any 35mm prints struck.

The only large format elements were the original negative, the separation masters and 70mm print trims.

As far as we can tell, there were 39 70mm prints struck for world-wide openings in 1963. Our records show, via identification of trims with specific prints, that 16 out of the 39 prints are unaccounted for.

That does not mean that they weren't re-cut, it simply means that we have no record of them. Prints numbered 19 and 20, were Japanese sub-titled, and cut. Print number 26 was German dubbed. It was cut on 11/26/63 for a German opening on 12/19.

Print number 33 was a replacement print, which became print 40. It was cut and re-recorded to Italian on 2/11/64, along with print 39.

As there were more trims, other prints would have been accounted for, but incomplete records disallow it.

Is it possible that a print might have slipped through the cracks? Doubtful. But never say never.

RAH

Keith Frisby

Auditioning
@ Ronald - Thanks for the welcome and all the hard work you do also..

@RAH , I pretty much thought this would be the case , thanks for the details , always a great interesting read..

If you ever did consider writing a book (Even a Ebook) on all the ins and outs of sourcing and restoring this movie , please add me to the list of buyers.

I was a young kid Living in Leicester in the UK when I first saw it in the early 1970's on TV (in those days the BBC had their famous 10 year rule ie it had to be 10 years from being released until a movie appeared on TV) , and have been a great follower of it ever since. I missed out on the laser , as I could never afford a player at the time , so have only ever seen the deleted scenes from the DVD and BR , but as you know these made no sense when out of context..

Now just waiting for the Amazon Pre order to show up..

My movie life will be almost totally Complete once "The Fourth Protocol" and "Robbery" with Stanley Baker finally make their way to the BR World :)

Thanks again..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now just waiting for the Amazon Pre order to show up.
Yeah, tell me about it, Keith. I am checking several times a day.

The preorders usually show up in less than a week post announcement.

Just want to get it posted here ASAP as we really would appreciate all of
you ordering through our link.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Keith Frisby said:
My movie life will be almost totally Complete once "The Fourth Protocol" and "Robbery" with Stanley Baker finally make their way to the BR World :)
Wow! I'm in complete agreement about THE FOURTH PROTOCOL. One of the greatest (and most underrated) British thrillers of the last 3 decades. Really encapsulates that Cold War nuclear paranoia so rife in the 80s.

Anyway - back on topic! Yes, I'm waiting for the Amazon preorder to show up. Will definitely be ordering through the HTF link (and THIEF too).

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, tell me about it, Keith. I am checking several times a day.

The preorders usually show up in less than a week post announcement.

Just want to get it posted here ASAP as we really would appreciate all of
you ordering through our link.
There are rumors that Criterion is changing distributors, which may be the reason pre-orders for Criterion's January titles are not yet up at amazon (or any other web store.)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Mike Frezon said:
gallery_286742_34_261050.jpg
HAHA, this had to be bumped.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sad part, I'm still not sold on the Blu for this.

I have a really good R2 already. Haven't really checked to see if there is extended running time or if the extras are different. But based on the Panny WT60 review, maybe LCD owners have to have Blu for everything.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Ronald Epstein, on 16 Oct 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:
[background=#f2f2f2] [/font]
[background=#f2f2f2]Undoubtably. I never pay full price for Criterion. This will be the exception.[/font]

Hear, hear!!!!!! This one is going to be a big birthday buy for me!!!!! Whatever the price...I am treating myself to this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mike, perhaps you should consider yourself duty-bound to post that first thing every morning.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Is anyone is going to the screening at the Dome today can you please report back.many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks