What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Bringing Up Baby (1938) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Several things have always bothered me about the movie. The rear projection where George/Skippy and the leopard are "playing" Skippy looks like he's been badly clawed over the rib cage (I wonder if he needed stitches). Did they use an expendable dog stand-in for star Skippy? Later in the jail scene they've replaced Baby (who apparently couldn't be trusted with the actors after he took a swipe at KH) with what looks like a dog in a really bad leopard costume.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Several things have always bothered me about the movie. The rear projection where George/Skippy and the leopard are "playing" Skippy looks like he's been badly clawed over the rib cage (I wonder if he needed stitches). Later in the jail scene they've replaced Baby (who apparently couldn't be trusted with the actors after he took a swipe at KH) with what looks like a dog in a really bad leopard costume.

From what I've read about the making of the film, Cary Grant was too afraid of Nissa the tamed leopard used to play both Baby and the mean circus escaped leopard as well. Katherine Hepburn was unafraid of Nissa and worked very closely together with her until one day when shooting a scene in which Katherine spun around causing her skirt to twirl that Nissa then lunged at Katherine but was quickly subdued by her trainer Olga Celeste. The whole time this happened Katherine was unware of what could of been a very deadly encounter. After being told of the incident that Katherine then decided that maybe she should keep some distance between herself and Nissa for the remainder of filming. Katherine wore heavy perfume to help keep Nissa clam around her as well. Katherine knowing how afraid Cary was of Nissa she played a prank on him once by throwing a toy leopard through the roof of his dressing room.

1618527236660.png

1618527268363.png

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Look at the body language. Katherine isn't too relaxed here - her left hand is in a stiff upturned claw-like pose. The cat's ears look like they're moving back - not a good sign. Cary's ready to bolt. Madame Olga appears to be holding a whip in her left hand, in addition to the two leashes. And a cat-proof leather vest for when she turns her back.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That's one I started out loving way back on first viewings in the 1980s, but that I've since cooled off on. Quite a few parts I still find really funny, but too many that get me cringing. Compare to The Awful Truth, which for me manages to provide all the former and none of the latter.

I'm with you. I'll no doubt be getting this but I'm in the minority in that I run hot/cold towards this one. When I first saw it in my teens, I loved it unequivocally. Now, my enjoyment is all mood dependent. There are times I watch it and it feels like the funniest thing I've ever seen. There are other times when I watch it and find Hepburn's "Susan" SO irredeemably irritating that I want nothing more than to see her at the bottom of a lake, preferably with a brick tied round her neck.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I'm with you. I'll no doubt be getting this but I'm in the minority in that I run hot/cold towards this one. When I first saw it in my teens, I loved it unequivocally. Now, my enjoyment is all mood dependent. There are times I watch it and it feels like the funniest thing I've ever seen. There are other times when I watch it and find Hepburn's "Susan" SO irredeemably irritating that I want nothing more than to see her at the bottom of a lake, preferably with a brick tied round her neck.
Y'know, I'm no Streisand fan generally, but I think she pulls off the irritating business much less irritatingly than Hepburn in Bogdanovich's all-except-the-cheetah What's Up Doc? remake.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Too true.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Y'know, I'm no Streisand fan generally, but I think she pulls off the irritating business much less irritatingly than Hepburn in Bogdanovich's all-except-the-cheetah What's Up Doc? remake.
I agree. And Cary Grant is pretty much flawless in Bringing up Baby; while Ryan O'Neal is the one that's annoying as hell in the remake.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I agree. And Cary Grant is pretty much flawless in Bringing up Baby; while Ryan O'Neal is the one that's annoying as hell in the remake.
Well, I dunno. I don't think portraying such utter cluelessness plays to Grant's strengths. Similar problem with him in Arsenic and Old Lace. That one I really can't bring myself to watch.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I love Cary Grant, but please don't even get me STARTED on that one!
Back in 1955 in a Catholic high school of all places, my older brother and some classmates wrote a parody they called "Our Nick and Old Lace," in which the crazy brother (Nick), rather than thinking himself to be Teddy Roosevelt, fancied himself Joe McCarthy. Performed it on the local radio station on its "Student Day."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks