What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Bringing Up Baby (1938) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I vehemently disagree. It’s by far the best the film has ever looked on any home video format and is better than it’s looked for generations.
Right, from what I can gather, most people think that BD release had a top notch video presentation and that they never seen it looked so good on home video in any format.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
This might be from the colorized VHS.

View attachment 94953

That clip is from one of those horrible AI colorizations that were popping up all over YouTube last year.

The 80’s colorized version has lots of yellows and pinks. Growing up in the 80’s, these colorized versions were sometimes my first introduction to these films. I never had an aversion to B&W, it’s just that for a few years, colorized versions of Bringing Up Baby, Topper, etc were everywhere.

joeytino

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I’m hoping the extra on Linwood Dunn has some of the raw special effects footage that was shown in the RKO documentary!

Either way, this is a no-brainer, day one purchase for me.
I wish someone would release the RKO documentary - the full UK version, not the edited down US one originally shown on A&E - It was so good and I watch it once a year from low quailty videos from the internest. Also the two Orson Welles documentaries ( Arena and Citizen Kane) on Blu-Ray. They were all shot on film - likely 16mm - and what is on YouTube is sort of rough. Does anyone know if there ever was a full transcript of the Arena Welles interview released? It would be interesting reading.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Here is some of the footage on the Special effects in Bringing Up Baby --- great stuff Interesting Ms Hepburn had a piece of Bringing Up Baby would her estate still get monies?

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Love The RKO Story documentary and you can view it on Youtube. I hope one day there will be a disc release.
You can view some of it (complete episodes #1, 4, 5, 6), but the Astaire-Rogers episode (#2) and the Women's Lot episode (#3) are only there in fragments.

I, too, would love to have the whole thing. I know it was released on laserdisc and VHS here and on DVD overseas, but it's long since been out of print. The thirteen-part Hollywood miniseries about the silent era, a masterpiece, is also deserving of a modern release.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Are the parts you mention on YOUTUBE?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No doubt they're looking to compete with Barnes and Noble, whose 50% off Criterion sale started today.
It started the last couple of B&N sales in which Amazon would price match them. Amazon used to lower their pricing during these B&N sales, but it wasn't until recently that they actually lowered their pricing to match B&N pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks