What's new

CRITERION: Great chat! Please consider these 'Wish List' titles (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Invaders From Mars was filmed in Cinecolor (Basically 2-strip Technicolor with blue tinting)
I'd like to see SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS released by Criterion. HomeVision releases the current VHS.
Also, it would be neat if Criterion could release a SE of MST3K: The Movie. This movie went through a struggle much like Brazil (focus group pressures) and the Best Brains were FORCED to be less funny. It would be neat if Criterion could get the Brains back in to re-dub their commentary so they could heckle the entire movie. Also, they could use ALL of the original comments (some very funny bits were forced to become bland). The ending and one segment between "theater segments" were spliced out...and the ending became the bland one you see today. The original ending spoofed Apollo 13 where Crow chainsaws out of the SOL causing everyone to get sucked out and die. Then...the interociter makes a tiny ant HUGE and sends it to Dr. Forrester where he gets the life choked out of him.
The original ending IS morbid, but it's a lot funnier.
------------------
Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
and
The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator
***SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON***
I can't believe this terrific film has slipped through the cracks w/ seemingly every home video company!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Invaders From Mars was filmed in Cinecolor (Basically 2-strip Technicolor with blue tinting)
Hmm, my bad memory strikes again! Still, the last time I saw it was many, many years ago (probably back when I had a b/w television set
wink.gif
).

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I hope Criterion will consider releasing Altman's 'Secret Honor'. They did a fine laserdisc some years ago, and it would be great to have a DVD version of this fine neglected film. Philip Baker Hall gives a one-man tour-de-force performance as Nixon.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I would love to see:
LA BELLE HISTORIE(Leloach)
MORE
LAVALLEE
PICNIC@HANGING ROCK-16x9, director commentary, include as extras the deleted scenes...
NAKED
REPULSION
THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH(your LD version makes Winstars look like dog****)and I dont mean maybe...
CAT PEOPLE (1942)
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE
CURSE OF THE DEMON
SWEPT AWAY-16x9, commentary
...and whatever happened to the TOHO 'GOJIRA/GODZILLA' disc?
------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on October 29, 2001 at 01:05 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd second MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, with the LD commentary but a new 16x9 transfer.
Also BELLE DE JOUR
SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK 16X9 with both cuts
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention one other public domain title that I would love to see released on DVD by Criterion A Taste of Honey.
And I second the nomination of Seance on a Wet Afternoon.
[Edited last by Jay E on October 30, 2001 at 10:03 AM]

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
I'll second the underrated David Lean comedy Hobson's Choice (1953); and Lubitsch's gossamer creation Trouble In Paradise (1932); and also add his marvelous To Be or Not to Be (1942); and Rene Clair's mystery classic And Then There Were None (1945) (which presently exists on two poor, low-profile, independant DVD releases).
I suppose a request from the Warner library is a tall order (duh!
wink.gif
). But if, somehow, Criterion could get their hands on Michael Curtiz's brooding classic, The Sea Wolf (1941), then I would at last have hope that the film would be restored to its original, long-lost 102-mins. incarnation. 12 mins. of ostensibly-vital footage (which, according to IMDB, "improves considerably the overall quality of the movie") has been absent from any incarnation of the film for the last 50+ years; its television running time of 90-mins. now being the "accepted" version. This missing footage apparently now only exists on a 16mm print belonging to the estate of its late-star, John Garfield.
To think that only a butchered revision of the film, which sported the single greatest performance in the distinguished career of legendary star Edward G. Robinson (and remains one of the screen's most awesome portraits of villainy ever), has ever been made known or available to the public in any viewing format, while the violated material exists on usable film elements, is tantamount to a black-eye on our film heritage. Only when we see a fully-restored The Sea Wolf available for home-viewing in glorious DVD will this injustice have been emended.
I can't think of a more ideal candidate for justice than the good people at Criterion. :)
------------------
The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941)
webster.gif
"Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS. Just viewed it last night. I had originally seen it when it first came out. I forgot why I liked it so much. With THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET all that is needed is THE FIREMEN'S BALL.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ran - Would be a AMAZING Criterion release. Id give my left one for this.
Dragonslayer
Malcolm X
Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Can't believe I forgot to make mention of the Billy Wilder classic The Big Carnival (a.k.a., Ace in the Hole) (1951). This savage attack on the American scene has never made it to home video in any format; and Paramount--who took a major hit with its unqualified foundering at the box-office--has shown no signs of ever doing otherwise.
Perhaps soliciting Paramount to license out one of their titles may also be a futile effort. But if there is any film of which they may be willing to exempt themselves from this policy, their much-suppressed The Big Carnival just might be it.
Here's hoping to see a Criterion DVD edition which will blow the lid off this underseen masterpiece. :)
------------------
The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941)
webster.gif
"Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.

Chris Kr

Agent
How about Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo!! if you can get the rights from mgm. Definite cult following there. Or how about zapped! with scott baio?

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I know Criterion has a laser disc out of Repulsion and I would love to see it on DVD. Any chance that this might be in the works?

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Donald W - SHALLOW GRAVE is on DVD. I rented it recently at BB. A little different but not a bad movie.

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
this is an old post but still worth updating...Criterion is still one of the best in the DVD game *they got the rights to do a nice SE of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which I never thought in a million years would happen!* yeah I got Shallow Grave about 4 months ago but would have loved to have heard a commentary with the cast and if there was a longer cut of the film *I'm still holding out for a Criterion Trainspoting w/ the longer UK cut of the film* now to add to this list if Criterion got Fear and Loathing at last and they still have a good standing with Terry Gillian they need to go do a SE of The Fisher King *I think is most underated work to date*

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Criterion does seem to lead the pack. I was wondering what titles were in the works for them. I know the just released Spellbound, Ratcatcher and Down By Law as well as announced the upcoming Trouble In Paradise, Contempt and Band of Outsiders. I'd love to see updates about what is in the works or will be in the works in the near future. I'd love to see them do a transfer for Repulsion.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I would love to see them get a hold of the Marx Brothers films from MGM that they seem to sitting on. With the loving care that Criterion gives their titles, these historic films would be right in their library.

I would also love to see a more contemporary classic, Moonstruck, released by Criterion. Though I am somewhat happy with what MGM gave us as far as a DVD, there could be so much more done with this film than a non-AOR transfer, a booklet and commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks