Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Russell G said:
New newsletter means new clue. Called "Wacky Wedding.Jpeg"

wackywedding.jpg
How about that. It's been rumored Criterion was going to release I MARRIED A WITCH (1942) for over a decade and now, suddenly, here it is.

A charming and endearing film. A definite purchase.

Unless the sketch refers to Nicholas Roeg's THE WITCHES (1990) in which case I'll still buy it.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'd rather see my favorite Rene Clair film, And Then There Were None. It's PD so they should be able to get a good deal licensing elements from Fox, perhaps as a companion release. but eh I can dream...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Moe Dickstein said:
I'd rather see my favorite Rene Clair film, And Then There Were None. It's PD so they should be able to get a good deal licensing elements from Fox, perhaps as a companion release. but eh I can dream...
I'd love to see a quality release of that one, too.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
So would I, And Then There Were None.

But there are a number of Rene Clair films that I'd like to get that haven't had a release.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Derrick King said:
I believe that Image's rights to FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN and BLOOD FOR DRACULA have expired. Cliff Mac mentioned, I think, on the Blu-ray forums that he tried to get them for Shout Factory, but couldn't. Both films are with Westchester Films, so there is a good chance that Criterion can/has reacquired them.
If they do revisit these films for Blu-Ray and DVD, I hope this time they will include the trailers. In the early days of Warner Amex cable and Viewer's Choice pay-per-view, both films played in December '82, and they ran the heck out of what I believe were the European trailers, which looked great and appropriately lurid. I later saw what I think was a TV spot for Bryanston's U.S. release of "Andy Warhol's DRACULA" complete with Ernie "Ghoulardi" Anderson narration, at the end of the ancient Video Gems VHS release of FRANKENSTEIN. None of these made it to any laserdisc or DVD release, and I pray they will finally surface.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Richard--W said:
So would I, And Then There Were None. But there are a number of Rene Clair films that I'd like to get that haven't had a release.
I don't really count any of those garbage PD releases, they look like total garbage. It's one of the only films I've kept on VHS because the DVDs weren't an improvement...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've read rumors that Criterion is going to be releasing a blu of The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada which is a film I love and have been holding off purchasing from overseas because I'd much rather get a Criterion version of this. Anybody hear or know anything about that?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Reggie W said:
I've read rumors that Criterion is going to be releasing a blu of The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada which is a film I love and have been holding off purchasing from overseas because I'd much rather get a Criterion version of this. Anybody hear or know anything about that?
Nope, but now that Criterion is getting Sony titles again it's feasible.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've never heard of "I Married A Witch" and was all ready to snear at it until I looked it up on IMDB. Sounds good, and I tend to enjoy films from the period so I'm in.

If "And Then There Were None" is PD, it wouldn't be unusual to see it on a Criterion as an extra. They doubled up films with "The Killing", "Blow Out" and "Lonesome" before without jacking up the price, so there is precident. Especially if special video features are thin on the title.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Moe Dickstein said:
Gaiam is releasing And Then There Were None on BD on 7/16/13, but they have a terrible track record, so don't hold your breath...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Russell G said:
I've never heard of "I Married A Witch" and was all ready to snear at it until I looked it up on IMDB. Sounds good, and I tend to enjoy films from the period so I'm in.

If "And Then There Were None" is PD, it wouldn't be unusual to see it on a Criterion as an extra. They doubled up films with "The Killing", "Blow Out" and "Lonesome" before without jacking up the price, so there is precident. Especially if special video features are thin on the title.
I'd love to see a good transfer of And Then There Were None as an extra, or as a separate title.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Lord Dalek said:
Nope, but now that Criterion is getting Sony titles again it's feasible.
Thanks, Lord Dalek. I've heard rumors about some titles that really interest me going to Criterion including Shampoo, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, and The Passenger. All of these, including The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, only seem to be rumors at this point but I thought one interesting factor with The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is they have both been released in foreign markets on blu but not yet in North America. Just made me wonder if the delay on those two may be that it is Criterion that has them and they are still putting together the things their editions will include.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Nothing I'm dying for in this batch. I'll probably grab "Seconds" since it's one I've heard about but never saw. Maybe "To Be or Not To Be", but my Warner DVD from that slapstick comedy collection is probably good enough since I didn't love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks