What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
My pleasure. It's nice when you can stack 10% off new release price, 10% member discount, and a coupon at B&N. I ended up getting Naked Lunch instead since I have Richard on DVD and realized I was better off adding a new spine to my collection rather than upgrading. I was planning to wait on Pierre Etaix at the end of the month, but with the right set of coupons I may pull the trigger at BN on that one too, with the over $40 SRP titles, there's an $8 off coupon that does wonders...

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Is there really a need to check? A British film from a commercial studio in 1963? Gotta be widescreen. But which ratio? 1.66:1? 1.75:1?

From Bob's recent Widescreen article over at 3dfilmarchive.com I would guess 1.75:1

By 1958, based on reports of UK films in production at the time, less than 10% were intended for 1.66:1. The majority were now composed for either 1.75:1 or 1.85:1 exhibition.

That ratio was still the UK standard in March of 1964 when A HARD DAYS NIGHT went before the cameras. It premiered on July 6, 1964, and 1.75:1 was printed in the leader to insure the correct presentation in Walter Shenson's intended ratio.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm 99% certain that the 1.37:1 listing on Lord of the Flies is simply the old spec still needing to be updated. This has happened on a few upgrade releases in the past, wherein the old 1.37:1 spec took a few extra days to be changed to the new widescreen spec.

If I had to guess, this one will be 1.66:1. Whatever it ends up being, it's being "supervised by cameraman and editor Gerald Feil".

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
IMDB lists it as 1:37. Maybe it's the directors intended ratio? I'm posting the question on Criterion's Facebook page.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Brandon Conway said:
IMDB is often wrong.
of course, but it's often right too. Which is why I posted the question on Criterion's facebook page. I'll report back any replies if I get one.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
lukejosephchung said:
Kinda helps to have the original cameraman/editor, William Fell, supervising the transfer himself...if HE doesn't know, who does??? :lol:
Is this also Gerald Feil. ?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Moe Dickstein said:
The guy supervising the transfer is A cameraman, but he wasnt the DP of this film, he was one of the editors.
So the guy who sat beside the director while the film was being put together. Still good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks