Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Got another 30 minutes until "OOPS! WAIT TIL TOMORROW!"

EDIT: Yup.

Anyway...

NOVEMBER

Daisies (I guess, I dunno)
Power of the Dog (Probably 4k, find out tomrrow)

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Daisies is amazing, happy to see it get a separate release from the Eclipse set.

I watched maybe 2/3 of it late-ish last night and gave up to go to bed (even though it's quite short) partly because my cable internet service died unexpectedly/abruptly (and I didn't wanna wait for it to recover). Had to get up early and wasn't really getting into it enough anyway, LOL. Maybe I'll finish it tonight (or maybe just altogether another time after a good long while), but get the feeling it needs to be seen in its entirety in one sitting (and it's certainly short enough)... :lol:

But yeah, I can confirm that screencap is definitely from Daisies at almost exactly the 1/2-way mark.

_Man_

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Maybe I'll finish it tonight (or maybe just altogether another time after a good long while), but get the feeling it needs to be seen in its entirety in one sitting (and it's certainly short enough)... :lol:
I can't agree. I went to IMDB to watch the trailer and even it wasn't short enough.
---------------

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm happy to see that The Power of the Dog is not only getting a Criterion release, but a 4K Criterion release.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Daisies cover is awesome, totally appropriate for the film.

I'm 100% down for Malcolm X, and most likely Daisies. I've only seen the first Infernal Affairs movie, so I'll probably just get that one from the library. ITMFL or Power of the Dog are both very good, but I don't like them enough to purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Daisies cover is awesome, totally appropriate for the film.

I've only seen ~2/3 of it the other night... and I agree that cover seems "totally appropriate"... though the jury's definitely still very much out on how I feel about the film itself, LOL...

I'm 100% down for Malcolm X, and most likely Daisies. I've only seen the first Infernal Affairs movie, so I'll probably just get that one from the library. ITMFL or Power of the Dog are both very good, but I don't like them enough to purchase.

Never seen those HK Internal Affairs films, but maybe I'll just blindbuy the set at some point to show my support for more releases of HK films since the first two seemed to get decent-to-good reviews w/ at least the first being led by some of the best HK actors (and there aren't particularly good-and-easy ways to see them otherwise anyway).

Would love to get ITMFL... but... what will this version look like though? Probably the same overly green revisionist version released in the boxset last year (but in 4K instead) I imagine. I woulda gotten that boxset if not for all the seemingly awful revisionism of most of the titles.

Nice to see Criterion getting deeper into 4K, but not sure I feel the need to upgrade Malcolm X... though maybe it could use a better encode (and much more disc space to breathe) even if it doesn't actually need 4K/HDR per se...

I'm happy to see that The Power of the Dog is not only getting a Criterion release, but a 4K Criterion release.

Guess I need to add The Power of the Dog to my NetFlix queue... although I'm not currently doing 4K for NetFlix and probably should see this in better quality. Guess maybe I can just think of it as buying an actual ticket for a premium screening (when it goes on 50%-off sale or something). Certainly wouldn't be the 1st (or 2nd) time I do that instead of bothering to watch one of their films on the service (although this would be the 1st for 4K disc)... :lol:

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Looks like a...quadruple?...dip for In the Mood for Love. I have the Criterion DVD, the Criterion BD, the remastered BD in the WKW set, and now I'll be getting the UHD. I'd probably have it on LD, too, if those were still be made when the film came out.

Anyway, it seemed almost a given that after releasing the WKW set on BD, the films would start getting released on UHD. Quite frankly, I would've preferred a UHD of Chungking Express or 2046 first, but c'est la vie...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Never seen those HK Internal Affairs films, but maybe I'll just blindbuy the set at some point to show my support for more releases of HK films since the first two seemed to get decent-to-good reviews w/ at least the first being led by some of the best HK actors (and there aren't particularly good-and-easy ways to see them otherwise anyway).

Actually, maybe the set will show up on The Criterion Channel (for a spell) before long -- don't know why I forgot that...

_Man_

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Funny that November, usually their strongest month, ended up being overshadowed by their great October slate.

The lack of boxsets this year, I assume, has been a disappointing side effect to their releasing UHDs. I really was hoping for a Pasolini 100 set, as Janus has at least 6 of his 12 feature films, and Criterion has 4 of the other 6 under license from MGM. (Oedipus Rex and Medea are the only two unaccounted for.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks