What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
This is not new. They released it on LD back in 1997.

But seriously, for their entire existence, they've released titles that aren't really "artsy-fartsy".

You know what artsy-fartsy means, Criterion is seen by most as the Dom Pérignon of the home video companies.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You know what artsy-fartsy means, Criterion is seen by most as the Dom Pérignon of the home video companies.
Yes, I do know what it means. Doesn't change what I said. Since the label began in 1984, they've released any number of titles that are in no way "artsy-fartsy". Certainly, their reputation has been built on the Kurosawas and the Bergmans and the Truffauts, and so on, but people have been ignoring the releases that aren't all that.

For that entire time, they've also released a lot of "popular" films that, while great in their own ways, aren't really "artsy-fartsy". Matt mentioned The Blob. There are also King Kong, A Night at the Opera, The Princess Bride, Ghostbusters, Silverado, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, three James Bond movies (Dr. No, From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger), Carrie, Jason and the Argonauts, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (and Life of Brian), Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Halloween, Chasing Amy, and Armageddon. And that's just the laserdiscs.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Criterion's been saving the best for last. What other company besides maybe Something Weird Video would releases one of the most controversial films of all time?
Shout Factory?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Shout Factory?

or Vinegar Syndrome.

or New Line, who DID release Pink Flamingos on DVD back in the day.

Films have progressed to be even filthier than Pink Flamingos, but I couldn't see Shout touching any of John Waters earlier films at all though.

If Criterion didn't release it then the only other two companies that would have would be either Grindhouse Releasing or Torma as no major studio would release the film that film today, New Line did before it was swallowed up by WB in their ever growing monopoly.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Alex Cox has revealed that Criterion is working on a new edition of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid expected for release some time this year. He mentions that Criterion might “pick a favorite” of the three cuts of the film, but doesn’t mention if the other two will be included.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Alex Cox has revealed that Criterion is working on a new edition of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid expected for release some time this year. He mentions that Criterion might “pick a favorite” of the three cuts of the film, but doesn’t mention if the other two will be included.

I just saw this myself. If this comes from criterion I wonder can we expect the wild bunch through them as well. This is a day one film for me

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The titles that come out during the last week of a month, if they get UK releases, they happen the next month. So it is still possible (assuming that it can be released uncut.)

Does the UK do NC17?

Has that film ever been shown over there, cause it is certainty checks off all boxes to be a "Video Nasty"

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Does the UK do NC17?

Has that film ever been shown over there, cause it is certainty checks off all boxes to be a "Video Nasty"
It seems to me that the UK -- in areas of censorship -- is more concerned with violence than with sex or scatology. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom, has been released any number of times in the UK. Three or four times just on blu-ray (by the BFI).

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Does the UK do NC17?

The treatment of the chicken on screen is what likely would be censored. Animal cruelty, so that would run afowl of the law and be forced to be cut. (although they have let slide stuff that clearly runs afoul of their animal cruelty laws, such as the cat eating a mouse in Inferno and the lizard getting pinned in Deep Red.)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I have not seen an announcement saying July titles on Monday from their social media.

...also aren't the Turrells Jewish?

EDIT: Titles will be announced on Monday according to their Facebook. Ok then,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks