What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
if you mean Paramount doesn't sublicense titles to third parties, seems The Mountain has a leak maybe they don't know about: I have at least a dozen Paramount-produced/ owned classics on Blu-ray, courtesy of Criterion, KinoLorber and Olive..

Their current policy is as follows:

Paramount will now only license content that they have never released under their own shingle on DVD.

So, for instance, take a movie like Conquest Of Space. Paramount issued a DVD version over a decade ago that’s long out of print. They have no interest in releasing the title on Blu-ray themselves. But because they put it out on DVD, they will not allow anyone else to license it for Blu-ray.

They will license content that hasn’t been on disc before. They will also license content that has been on disc, but where the disc was released by a third party and not Paramount themselves.

So this is why, for instance, Kino has been able to put out a bunch of Paramount-controlled more obscure films, but can’t touch any titles that are more popular but were on DVD.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Where does this leave some of the Paramount owned classics like The Rose Tattoo, Lady in a Cage and Greatest Show on Earth? Can't believe these are still stalled waiting for an HD release. At least Criterion is letting one grand classic out a month. Only The Heiress for me and A Face in the Crowd from last month. Perfectly happy not to double dip Blue Velvet and other retreads.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Where does this leave some the Paramount owned classics like The Rose Tattoo, Lady in a Cage and Greatest Show on Earth?

Mostly in limbo.

Paramount seems to be experimenting more with digital distribution. They just did brand new 4K restorations of Its A Wonderful Life and War Of The Worlds, but have decided to release them to digital retailers only rather than on physical media. It’s too early to tell if this is a temporary experiment or their new permanent strategy.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Their current policy is as follows:

Paramount will now only license content that they have never released under their own shingle on DVD.

So, for instance, take a movie like Conquest Of Space. Paramount issued a DVD version over a decade ago that’s long out of print. They have no interest in releasing the title on Blu-ray themselves. But because they put it out on DVD, they will not allow anyone else to license it for Blu-ray.

They will license content that hasn’t been on disc before. They will also license content that has been on disc, but where the disc was released by a third party and not Paramount themselves.

So this is why, for instance, Kino has been able to put out a bunch of Paramount-controlled more obscure films, but can’t touch any titles that are more popular but were on DVD.
Thank you for the explanation! :)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Where does this leave some the Paramount owned classics like The Rose Tattoo, Lady in a Cage and Greatest Show on Earth? Can't believe these are still stalled waiting for an HD release. At least Criterion is letting one grand classic out a month. Only The Heiress for me and A Face in the Crowd from last month. Perfectly happy not to double dip Blue Velvet and other retreads.
the rose tattoo IS NOT A CLASSIC. It’s horrible!! Imho

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
OUCH !!! Oh well, ya can't like 'em all.
Still, "The Rose Tattoo" did receive 8 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Edith Head for Costume and Alex North for Score; plus it did win 3 for Anna Magnani (Best Actress), James Wong Howe (Best Cinematography) and Best Art Direction (Black and White). Without yet seeing this film, it sure does sound like it could play out pretty nice on both the eyes and ears.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann

Well, Lenny Maltin gives it a big three and a half stars, a film where "Magnani shines" in a " flavorful adaptation" of T. Williams". So, just fight it out with Len and I. Because it is a classic if only for the fabulous Alex North score and Magnani's delicious "the body of my husband with the face of a clown" antics. Lancaster rarely did comedy, but he kicks ass here. Look, I think Star Wars is horse manure, but millions of forty somethings would burn me at the stake for saying it. Don't make me bring out the matches.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
OUCH !!! Oh well, ya can't like 'em all.
Still, "The Rose Tattoo" did receive 8 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture, Edith Head for Costume and Alex North for Score;
plus it did win 3 for Anna Magnani (Best Actress), James Wong Howe (Best Cinematography) and Best Art Direction (Black and White).
Without yet seeing this film, it sure does sound like it could play out pretty nice on both the eyes and ears.
Not on the ears. All
Magnani does for two hours is scream. Ugh.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Well, Lenny Maltin gives it a big three and a half stars, a film where "Magnani shines" in a " flavorful adaptation" of T. Williams". So, just fight it out with Len and I. Because it is a classic if only for the fabulous Alex North score and Magnani's delicious "the body of my husband with the face of a clown" antics. Lancaster rarely did comedy, but he kicks ass here. Look, I think Star Wars is horse manure, but millions of forty somethings would burn me at the stake for saying it. Don't make me bring out the matches.
What makes you hate STAR WARS so much?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The latest newsletter clue:

HJ-hTeHYzF8C6zNfLMBDYMqv8hD_fjZZYOaWdm7jJkOUoEZJsOOtNzxcm3zUNUOtCLYqdpmmPSInKUPsMfHgGQkKz0DpxFTuXUB7yOzYipYCDG8tanOZakZQqYUgJ-sHmO239LbAHNaBMwA7XCgDNxWKsqM1wtNmSa0=s0-d-e1-ft

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
A very interesting bit of Criterion news has just popped up on the website for this year’s San Francisco Silent Film Festival. On the first of May, the festival will be showing a new 4K restoration of Buster Keaton’s The Cameraman which was partially sponsored by Criterion, so we should keep an eye out for a Criterion edition of this within the next few months or so.

Link:

https://prod3.agileticketing.net/we...&epguid=7ecd8d33-d7d0-46b0-a62a-af16bcbe6fc6&

Restoration details from said link:

4k digital restoration undertaken by The Criterion Collection, Warner Bros. and Fondazione Cineteca di Bologna

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
A very interesting bit of Criterion news has just popped up on the website for this year’s San Francisco Silent Film Festival. On the first of May, the festival will be showing a new 4K restoration of Buster Keaton’s The Cameraman which was partially sponsored by Criterion, so we should keep an eye out for a Criterion edition of this within the next few months or so.

Link:

https://prod3.agileticketing.net/we...&epguid=7ecd8d33-d7d0-46b0-a62a-af16bcbe6fc6&

Restoration details from said link:
The Cameraman, Swing Time and possibly Show Boat '36 from Criterion and another 30s title coming from WAC? I don't know what happened to FINALLY light the fire under Warner to let somebody back into the vault for some more 30s (and even 20s!!) titles, but it sure sounds like I had better start saving up to buy these and help convince Warner to keep going!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks